ONE

ONE : the mikaelsons

WHEN A DAGGER DIPPED in white oak ash sinks into his chest, Thomas always feels pain spread over his entire body. His eyes remain open as he feels every single one of his nerves catch fire, followed by a numbness that spreads over him. It feels a bit like when your leg falls asleep, a tingling sensation spreading over your entire body, only it's far more painful. When the numbness spreads up his neck and to his face, Thomas' eyes roll to the back of his head before he passes out.

After passing out, Thomas always found himself in the void. It was equally comforting and terrifying, to stand in the darkness for minutes, days, years, centuries, never being able to tell time. Thomas always cried when he was there, always screamed until his throat was raw, until he had a headache, until every drop of energy was sucked out of his body and he could do nothing but lay motionless, numb, empty.

Waking up was always a terrible experience, Thomas always felt hungry, tired, disoriented, like he wasn't all there just yet. To make matters worse, whatever he'd experienced before being daggered always came back. It was like all his feelings returned full force, along with whatever he'd taken or done. It wasn't ever a pleasant experience.

When the dagger is pulled from Thomas' chest, he feels a second of pain. Every single one of his nerves burns as feeling comes back to his body. He jolts up with a gasp, hands grasping towards his chest as the pressure is relieved. His fingers run over the spot where the dagger once was, trying to relieve the phantom pain, despite how it always healed faster than he could actually process.

"Fuck," He breathes out, his eyes snapping shut as he tries to get his breathing under control. The words die in his throat. He coughs once, fingers still rubbing over the spot on his chest until the pain is gone. His hand drifted from his chest to his hair, pushing it back and running his hand through it. It helped ground him to reality.

"Finally awake, are you?"

Thomas' eyes widened in surprise, head snapping to the source of the voice. Kol. His darling brother, awake, alive, breathing. He hadn't seen him in years.

Thomas breathed out a laugh, lips stretching into a grin, "Fuck you." He laughed as he jumped out of the casket, stumbling from the feeling of finally being on his own two feet. Kol caught him before he hit the ground, arms wrapping around him and squeezing before he let go.

Kol was warm, warmer than Thomas expected or remembered. He hadn't seen him in so long— he looked happy, safe, grin bright and not a hint of malice in his eyes. Kol flicked him on the ear, "That's for leaving me desiccated."

"Like you didn't do the same before," Thomas accused, smacking Kol in the arm with only half his strength. He didn't need to hit him too hard, otherwise Kol would retaliate and they'd actually be fighting not even five minutes after coming back. Well, that and the fact Thomas was still too weak to even think about fighting anyone. His stomach gnawed with hunger.

Thomas glanced around the room, surprise evident on his face. Elijah, Finn, Kol and Rebekah were there, only Klaus was missing "So it's a family reunion, huh?" His lips stretched into a reluctant grin, "Well? What's the occasion?"

"Taking our revenge," Rebekah smirked. "Nice to see you, little brother."

"Always a pleasure to be around you, Bex," Thomas smiled. "Are we killing Klaus, or just talking about it?" He often assumed that revenge was directed at Klaus, otherwise said man would be in the room with them.

"We're taking care of a problem we should've solved years ago," Elijah chimed in, lips set into a thin line. "Niklaus has gone to far."

"Is that a surprise?" Thomas asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "He went too far several years ago, we just took it because, well, we're all used to controlling, toxic people, aren't we?"