9

They had been travelling for two days now. They had left not long after Sasha told the two lovers of the boats finish. Now, they sat around a controlled fire. They should be sleeping but no one could and before they knew it they were sharing stories around the fire. People were telling stories of before they joined the scouts, what their childhood was like. Armin glanced at Jean and by the light of the blazing fire Jean could see what he wanted.

Jean nodded "Hey guys."

Everyone turned their attention to him. Levi looked at them a knowing look in his eyes. Mikasa held the same look. Armin wondered if it was something the Ackermans had.

"Armin and I want to tell you something" Jean continued.

All eyes were on them now. Armin gulped slightly. This was it. They were talking the leap. Armin snaked Jean's hand into his.

"We're boyfriends" Jean announced "Deal with it."

There was silence for a moment before a laugh from Sasha "Finally! Jean you grew the balls to confess."

Jean turned red "Shut it Sasha."

"I mean It's about time" Connie agreed "The pining, the lingering looks it was unbearable."

Mikasa smiled to herself "I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that. Armin was hopeless."

"Am I the only one who didn't know about this?" Eren exclaimed.

"Yes" The whole group said in unison.

"So you're okay with this?" Armin asked hesitantly.

"As long as you don't start talking gushy around each other. That one couple from training almost killed me" Sasha sighed.

"Oh my god" Connie nodded "I swear I caught him with his tongue down her throat before. I think it was a murder attempt."

The group laughed and continued to share stories from training. Armin smiled as he scooted closer to Jean. Jean noticed and wrapped his arm around Armin's shoulders. He pulled him close and Armin leaned against him.

They might not he able to do this all the time but they could be themselves around the people that truly mattered to them. That's all they cared about at the time.

***

Everyone was sleeping. Well everyone was meant to be sleeping. Armin had gotten up and was followed quickly by Jean who had made the snarky comment "we have to stop meeting like this."

They were dancing.

Neither really knew how it happened. All they knew is they were pressed up against each other, swaying to an invisible rhythm. Jean was radiating warmth and Armin loved it. He felt at home in Jean's arms. Safe even.

That's when Armin realized he loved him. This had been developing for quite awhile yes but this is when Armin fully realized. Jean was his everything. This is what the books he read had been trying to describe. These were the emotions Romeo and Juliet were supposed to convey.

Armin smiled to himself. It was so, so much more.