2

They were going back to the walls. Armin knew he would be coming back. He knew he would see the sea again but he still felt empty leaving it. He was standing on the beach staring off into the endless blue void.

'I did it grandpa' he thought 'I saw it.'

"Armin."

Armin turned to see Mikasa and Eren standing behind him.

"We have to go" Mikasa said.

"The sea's still gonna be here when we get back" Eren said.

Armin smiled "Yeah I know. I can't believe we'll actually be sailing on it."

"Hard to enjoy the trip knowing what's on the other side" Eren said.

The three saddened slightly and looked down at the ground. He was right. No matter how beautiful the waves were they would always be tainted with blood.

"Wow Yeager way to bring down the mood."

Armin looked up to see Jean approaching, looking smug.

"I get that you joined the scouts to be a little hero and Mikasa joined to keep you in line but Armin joined to see the world. Stop trying to ruin that for him."

Armin was taken aback. He blinked at Jean "Jean I don't think he was trying to-"

"Why don't you mind your own business horse face" Eren stepped forward, puffing out his chest.

"Oh lord don't start a fight" Armin said.

"Didn't plan to" Jean smirked "Just came to tell you that Levi want you to hurry your asses up."

Jean turned on his heels and Armin followed, Mikasa and Eren not far behind. Armin took a glance at Jean. He knew Eren didn't mean anything bad by what he said but he couldn't help but feel grateful for Jean stepping in. He wondered why he did so.

"Took you long enough" Connie said as the four made it to their squad.

"Armin and Jean were probably getting rest after their late night swim" Sasha winked teasingly.

Armin saw Jean flush from the corner of his eye. Armin didn't know but a tingling feeling rose in his stomach.

"Woke the captain up" Connie said "Who in turn woke the rest of us with his lecturing."

"Well if this bastard hadn't splashed me it wouldn't have been a problem" Jean nudged Armin playfully.

Eren laughed "Nice job Armin!"

"Shut it Yeager" Jean warned glaring at him.

"Shut up all of you" Levi said stepping in "Saddle up. We're leaving."

"It's about time" Hange said "There's a boat to be built and transported. Not to mention supplies to be gathered."

"Right" The squad said in unison. They began to saddle and climb on their horses. Armin shifted uncomfortably on the horse, his clothes were still slightly damp from the night before.

Jean's horse trotted up beside his "That's what you get for being the worst" Jean said, noticing how uncomfortable Armin was.

"I'd say it was worth it" Armin shrugged "you have such a splashable face."

"You are insufferable" Jean shook his head.

"As bad as Eren?"

"Don't compare yourself to that fake hero" Jean scoffed.

"You and Eren are both so petty" Armin shook his head.

"Why thank you I am pretty" Jean flashed a grin before he shot his horse forward.

"What a dork" Armin shook his head before charging his horse forward and falling into formation.