5

《︎𝘊𝘩𝘭𝘰𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

"Now Clover I know that you're not good at making friends-" I scrunch my face up in disgust as my step father speaks. We just arrived at the school. "-but please be nice if you come in contact with that McCormack kid." Roger finishes. I nod and he leaves me outside. I spot Ariel and Rusty, they pull into a parking spot in front of me. Based on the look Rusty has on her face. She is probably still mad at Ariel. I head over to their vehicle and stick my head through the window.

"Hey Clover." Ariel is the first to greet me. I nod my head at her, giving her questioning look. She scoffs looking back to Rusty. "Seriously? Are you going to pout all day?" Rusty says nothing as she gets her bag situated. "Look, I already said I was sorry."

Rusty sighs, sitting her bag down. "It's Monday. Everybody gets a do-over." She playfully rolls her eyes as Ariel grabs her face and kisses her cheek. They're so dramatic.

"You love me!" She exclaims.

"I know I do!"

A loud vehicle enters the parking lot, blasting their radio. "Ren McCormack." I whisper as I see him exit his vehicle.

"Hey Clover. Isn't that that new kid my mom introduced me to at church?" Ariel leans on Rusty's car.

"Sure is." I mumble.

"He's cute." Rusty gazing at Ren.

"You think everybody's cute." I scoff. Especially Willard.

"I know, but I think he's cute." She drags out. He exits his car, I hold back a laugh when I catch sight of his tie.

"Awe...He dressed up for his first day
of school. That's so cute!" I laugh, getting his attention.

"Come on, let's go." Ariel turns to walk away.

Rusty tugs my arm. "Did you see his tie?" She whispers.

"Yes Rusty. He's the only kid wearing one that isn't in book club or mathletes." I retort.

"Well I like it and I'm going to tell him." Rusty turns around.

"Rusty no-"

"That's a nice tie." She smiles at the boy. "Hey, I mean it! Don't let anyone tell you different."

He adjusts his backpack strap. "Thanks, uh..."

"Rusty."

Ren nods. He looks to Ariel and asks. "It's Ahriel, right?"

She turns around and lowers her sunglasses. "It's Ariel." She corrects him.

He nods. "Ariel."

"Very good." She says as her and Rusty enter the school. I turn to follow.

"Hello to you too, Dunbar." He calls from behind me.

I lick my teeth and turn back on my heels. He has a smirk plastered on his face. "Don't call me that, McCormack." The first warning bell led off. I give him a smile before turning around, heading inside to my locker. "See you around. Don't get too lost." I yell through the crowd.

"Hey wait-" I hear a smack.

"Hey. Watch where you're going, little guy!" Willard, my best friend yells out. I turn when I hear his thick southern accent.