Chapter 11: Fallen Beyond Means

Staying low and keeping quiet. That was the whole mission. Escorting the kids to Marley was the plan, but there was a note that plans were changing. Escorting them into their hometown would be a danger not only to them, but to all the Scouts hidden within Marley. So it's best to keep quiet- it's what the commander had said.

At least you still get to spend time with Sasha. Though the kids does get anxious and afraid, they still do their morning workouts and honing their skill- within reason. Even though you weren't part of their little duo, you can tell they were plotting something. But even if they could pull off their ploy, they would be captured easily.

This night was just like any other night- except... Sasha has not returned. She was supposed to come back with not just fresh produce, but also news from a long chain of command within Marley. Most importantly- word from Commander Hanji Zoe.

Hours went on by, and you couldn't help but having a pang of worry. Anger within your grasp as your hands clenched into balls. Your pacing grew worse as you walked up and down the stairs- carefully looking out of windows. There was no trace of Sasha Braus anywhere. Perhaps you were getting worried for the little underclassman of yours...

Finally, there was some light tapping on the door near 9. Cautiously, you walked to the door and peaked through- Sasha!

You opened it and she quickly ran through. Her arms filled with groceries as she dropped them on the table. Her eyes went grim as she never turned to face me. 

"Sasha..." You began walking towards her. "What happened?"

Her head then bowed down with the news hanging in her voice. "Marley's searching for Eldians within the city. Apparently someone gave them the slip that there was illegal Eldians here- more so holding the cadets for the titans..."

"How long do you think we have?"

"Days, at least. But they're also investigating people who left... and who will be leaving."

"Trapped then?"

"Yeah..."

Taken aback by being helpless in this situation... you reached for her with a smile on your face. "Don't worry, Sasha. We'll get out of this situation- safely. All of us."

"If..." she said with her voice straining. "If we fail... we'll be executed... don't you understand, (y/n)? If we fail, we'll die. Not just me, not just you, but Falco and Gabi as well. Even though they were part of the enemy, they shouldn't need to die. I don't want to fail."

You took her hand, smiling gently. "Then we won't fail. We'll do our best. I promise that I'll do my best to keep all of us safe. Sasha, don't cry or worry. Smile. Because no matter what- we will do something about this. Don't worry else we would make a mistake. Don't worry because we'll be working together. Trust in me."

A smile tugging at her lips as she looked at you with a slight nod. "O-Okay.."

"I mean it, Sasha. Promise me that you won't worry anymore."

"I promise, (y/n)."

You nodded your head, smiling back. "Alright then. Now that's out of the way, what did Commander Hanji say? Perhaps a plan out of this?"

"After I did learn about the Marleyan soldiers, that's when I was able to get a message to Commander Hanji." Sasha's worries seem to disappear as things began to escalate. "Turns out they're testing radio waves- and this test was successful. I was scared of what she said..."

"What did she say?"

"You can wreck havoc a way out." Sasha tilted her head with confusion as she repeated the commander's words. "Wreck havoc?"

You look towards the stairs, sighing heavily. "It means... if we want to get out of here... we need to make a distraction. But in order for our distraction to work... we need Falco and Gabi to cooperate with us. There's no doubt something will be brewing on the commander's side- but we need to deal with ourselves. Should we return to the Walls?"

"Retreating back to the Walls..." Sasha sighed, hitting the same point you were. "It must be the safer place. After what happened there- I don't want more people to die. Let's retreat back then."

"I'll get the message out we're leaving as soon as we can."

"What about Falco and Gabi?"

"Well..." You started off, chuckling a bit. "Let's ask them for their opinion- will they come back with us in hopes to find safety? Plus, Gabi probably needs someone else to rely on... we're just strangers to them. After all... we don't know much about them either."

"Eh?"

"I think... they need to talk to their superiors... you know... Reiner. After all, Gabi is Reiner's cousin... and we have been forcing them to isolate themselves. Who knows what they think of us."

"Then..." Once again, Sasha's smile appeared on her face. This time, all worry seems to have been wiped off her face. Back when things were simple: kill titans. "We'll just make friends with them."

You smiled brightly, wanting to hold her hand tighter and maybe kiss her- but now... things seem to have been getting too full... too full to not have any romantic moments.