Chapter 2

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I was making dinner, and as promised, Carter was helping me make it. He was standing on a chair at the stove, mixing the taco seasoning into the meat. Or as he calls it, stirring. I had the heat in a low setting so nothing would pop back at him, and I was holding the pan in place. Just got be safe.

"Mommy, I'm hungry. Is it almost done stirring?" I chuckle a little at him. "Just mix it in a little more, then I'll add a little more water and stir that, then it'll be done." He tilts his head. "Why do you add water?"

"Well because I don't want the meat to dry out."

"Why don't we want it to dry out?"

"It wouldn't taste as good."

"Why wouldn't it taste as good?"

"I'm not sure. I just know that it does because I've had both. Maybe we should look into it later." I explain carefully. I never just say I don't know, or it just is, or because I said so because I don't want him to lose interest or curiosity. He's always been very curious, and asks a lot of questions, sometimes ones he actually knows the answer to. I think he just likes using it as a conversation starter. After finishing up, I set him in one of the bar stools. We live in a decent sized apartment, but to save on space I use one of the counters in the kitchen as a table since it was an open counter. It gives Carter some more play room in the living room.

"Mommy, what did you give that guy from the store after you put me in the car?" Carter asks as I set his plate of food down. I blush a little. "His name is Mark, honey, and just my phone number." I answer quickly. "What for?" I try to evade the question a little as I'm getting my own food. "So that we can talk again. You said you were hungry, do you have enough food?" He nods, then turns back to his original topic. "Do you like him like him? Is that why you want to talk about him?" Okay, plan A didn't work, what now?

"You know what, Carter? It's a bit complicated." I don't want to talk down to him, or mislead him, but I'm unsure how to go about it. Whenever I get embarrassed I struggle to decide on the correct words. "For now, the most I can say if that I like him, but we will talk to get to know each other. Only then will we know if we like like each other." I say after what feels like an eternity of his big eyes staring intently at me. "Okay, Mommy, if you say so. I still like him, though." He shrugs then lifts his food into his mouth. I sigh with relief and eat as well, thankful to be done with that conversation.

My next few hours were spent cleaning the kitchen, playing with Carter, getting him ready for nighttime, then putting Carter to bed. I exit his moonlit room, looking at my little boy cozied up to the dog plush in his arms. The best sight in the world to me. I love Carter more then anything in the whole goddamn world. Am I really ready to share that with someone? Sure, Mark seems nice at first glance, but how am I supposed to know if that's a front. What if he hurt Carter? What if he put up an act to get into my pants? What if he's just as much a douchebag as him? Finally, I close Carter's door to go and get ready for bed myself. I have to wake up early to get him ready for school and then go to work.

While brushing my teeth, I decided to pull up Youtube as I do most nights to watch something while doing my routine. The home page consists mostly of the same stuff it always does, but something new catches my eye that makes me do a spit take. The thumbnail of a video titled 'Markiplier Makes: PIE.' It seems to have been from about a year ago, and his looks have definitely changed, but that is undoubtedly Mark. Of course, I click on it. Maybe I'm tired, or just plain crazy, but I'm fairly certain I've hit a gold mine. And maybe an answer to at least a few of my questions. About halfway through my second video, my phone vibrates with a new message.

'Hi, it's Mark. Would you want to get dinner sometime?'