14.

"An indecipherable message was hidden in your eyes. If only I could detect what that message really meant." - v.r

"You really do love nature, don't you?" Zayn smiled at Zariah when her fingers grazed the tall grass as they were walking. Zariah just nodded with a smile on her face. Nature was so beautiful to her, she could sit out in the sun, inspecting the smallest of things; it would still fascinate her to the fullest. And that goes for anything, too. Trees, birds, leaves, the grass, the lake, flowers, bees. Anything. Zayn tore his gaze away from her when he saw a few Gods walking towards them.

He slipped his hand in Zariah's and threaded his fingers through hers. Zariah gasped lightly at his sudden actions, but said nothing about it. She just went along with it since her requests would most likely be ignored. They continued to walk through Olympus. It was actually Zayn's idea; Zariah decided to go because, well, just to go. She was in a delightful mood today. "How do you feel today?" Zayn asked her looking down as they walked. He licked his lips and glanced at her.

"I'm doing very well, thank you." Zariah smiled at him. He returned it just as quick. "How about yourself?" She asked him, lightly bumping shoulders making Zayn chuckle in a friendly manner. Zariah giggled shaking her head. The wind blew slightly making the hair that once lay on over her shoulders now fall behind her back. She blinked.

"I'm doing good, thanks." He answered, nodding. "It's such a beautiful day though, isn't it?" He asked looking up at the sky.

"It's always beautiful!" Zariah laughed. Zayn felt his heart pick up at the sound; he really loved the sound of her voice and laugh. And looks, of course. "But yeah," she agreed. "It really is a nice day."

"Yeah." Zayn smiled at her as she looked straight ahead. He held out his hand and Zariah examined it for a moment before tentatively taking it. Slipping their fingers through one another Zayn swayed their hands back and forth and Zariah smiled. It was only just a friendly gesture, she thought.

"Want to go hang out at my house?" She asked him. "My father made Iris a brand new perch, and also got me a large bookshelf completely bedazzled with books!" She smiled at the thought. "Wanna go check it out?"

Zayn normally wouldn't read books, but if Zariah was asking him to hang out with her and if she wanted to read books, then so fucking be it. He wasn't going to refuse an offer such as this one. As they were walking back, Zariah saw Louis and Liam under a shady, large Tree. They were laughing and playfully hitting each other. That only brought back memories of when Louis was drunk; complimenting her, moving a stray piece of hair out of her way. Kissing her forehead, she was in deep now.

She hadn't noticed Louis was staring back at her, they were only a good four yards away. She could see his dark stormy blue eyes, flicker from her face to Zayn and Zariah's intertwined hands. Zayn noticed Zariah staring at Louis and as they passed, Zayn put on an arrogant smile and waved at Louis. "Hey, how's it going?" He asked. Louis' jaw went slack before he forced a small smile.

"Good." He answered, giving them one more once over. "It's going good." Zariah had a small frown all the way home.

***

Louis retreated home. His parents were out wandering the Underworld. He lazily slumped onto his bed and breathed out a sigh of tiredness and frustration. Louis loved the feeling of being alone. He liked it when no one was there with him, to bother him, pester him, talk to him about stupid shit. He liked the feeling of being able to do anything he wanted because there was no one there who could stop him. He was free; more or less independent.

But sometimes, as Louis lays there, on his bed with one hand tucked under his head and with Cerberus snores in the corner, Louis cannot help but feel dreadfully alone. And with lonesomeness comes thoughts, thinking, and observations, too. Being alone means there's time for anything and also nothing.