𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛. 𝑔𝑢𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛

Start from the beginning

           The Fairy Godmother noticed her specific spell choices and went to grab her daughter, looking her in the eye. "Have you been getting into my old magic books?"

           "I had to learn somehow." Jane muttered loudly enough for her to hear.

           Her mom turned around. "I told you why you shouldn't practice magic," She pinched the bridge of her nose as it dropped.

"It's my birthright!" Jane fought back.

That was when her mother snapped her head back, walking up to her like it was any other day and she was scolding a misbehaving child. "You'd end up a weapon in the King's arsenal just to use that birthright?" She demanded. "You'd do unspeakable horrors to others with lifelong friends just to protect the most important thing in the world to you?"

Jane had thought long and hard about this, because ever since she was ten, she knew something wasn't right. And she already had her answer lined up and ready to go. "No." She shook her head, "I'd figure out a way to get the King off the throne. I'd find help and allies, and people that I trust with my life to help me because I would rather go down fighting, mother. And I know you did a lot of bad things for me, but you knew you could've fought back. You were the one that taught me that there is always another option."

"Not with you there isn't!" Her mother rarely raised her voice at her, it was mainly whenever she went over old spell books of hers or did anything else even remotely connected to magic, but this time was different. Like she was scared and angry at the same time and she was trying to get Jane to understand why. "When it comes to you, I'd do it all over again if it ensured your protection."

Jane felt numb, and her eyes burned as she fought back the tears threatening to spill. Now was not the time for crying. "You'd let twelve other kids suffer to keep me safe?" She whispered.

"I would." Her mother replied with an instance.

Jane nodded sadly and slowly walked up closer to her mother, her face filled with disappointment. "Then how exactly are we different from the villains on the Isle of the Lost, Mom?"

Her mother was left silent, like she was trying to find the words, "How dare you compare me-"

"You'd let innocent kids suffer for selfish reasons." Jane enunciated, "That's textbook villain reasons."

"So keeping my daughter safe was selfish of me?!"

"Giving up was selfish of you!" She yelled back. She was shaking, practically vibrating and the energy she got just made her keep going. "You gave in so quickly, I remember it like it was yesterday! Mom, you could've found a loophole, you could've exposed him, you could've fought for your people."

"You're my people." Her mother's voice got small, "I did what I thought was best for you."

Jane's voice got tight as well. "No, you hid me. You made me suppress my powers. You abandoned our way of life." She got angry again and she was just as loud, the tingly sensation she felt on a daily basis felt like fireworks now. " Why didn't you fight?!"

"Because I was scared! Okay?! I was scared." Her yells quieted and got small as she admitted her reasons. "I was scared that I'd lose you. I was scared I'd lose our whole species. And I didn't want to take that risk." They both quieted down after that. It took a few minutes for her mom to gather herself and clear her throat. "So this is what we're going to do. You're going to visit your aunt in the Fey Lands and you'll be staying there until this whole Wonderland debacle is over with." Jane could feel herself shaking again. "Maybe whilst you're there you can manage to keep control of yourself."