Heart Like A Wildflower

Notes: Holooo! The art attached to this chapter is by my dear friend Ghosty, @Sk1tz999, and she's @enchantedbythebidders on tumblr. She's a sweetie and does lost of sick ass art of Dahlia, my child! Pls check out her tumblr and you can check out mine too @heartofsnark and you can see not only my fics but also more art/graphics of dahlia!~

Warnings:  Joseph being a crazy motherfucker, PTSD Faith Nips (sometimes white dresses are very sheer, don't kill my vibe), Body Horror

"We're moving closer and closer to the edge; with every passing day we grow closer to the moment we've been preparing for. When the first seal breaks, when we will begin to reap the land for all we need to survive the collapse; to show our strength and our resilience and march through Eden's Gate as a family. For I am your Father and you are my children..."

"Praise be to you," his congregation speaks to him unison, their voices echoing into cacophony in the small church. Despite his growing flock, the church remains small and humble. Joseph much prefers it that way, despite the land and resources to expand, he never wishes to stray from their modest roots.

There's a catch in his throat as the sermon ends; he means what he says, he always does. But, there is a new gravity to his words. The collapse is close. He knows it. There is a tension rising, the electricity in the air before the storm comes crashing down. The seal has yet to open, but it's only a matter of time and that time is quickly running out.

His flock stands from the pews, people of varying gender, race, experience, all united under his message. One woman comes to stand before him, a shake in her hands, Layla a young follower who works under Faith's guidance for the project.

It's not uncommon for members of the flock to come speak to him following service, asking questions and needing his guidance. He knows every member by name; knows their struggles as intimately as he knows his own. So, it is no surprise to see her coming to him for counsel or comfort. Her attire is more surprising, he knows her typical manner of dress, the black leather jacket on her clashing against the vibrancy of her clothes. Behind her, Theodore, a chosen who works under John, lingers behind her.

"Father Joseph..." She begins tentatively, unsure of herself.

"Layla, The Father has greater concerns than what you've drugged in."

"What is it, my child?"

"I've brought someone-"

"A police officer," Theodore cuts her off, "who arrested brother Nathaniel and I."

"A wayward soul worthy of salvation, I don't know how to explain it, but she saved me, and I knew I had to bring her here, if you're able to speak with her..."

"All are worthy of salvation, so long as they open their hearts to us and join our family," he tells her, casting a glance at Theodore who avoids his gaze, guilt coloring his features. He is a valuable worker, perhaps one of few who can work closely with John and withstand the youngest Seed brother's more...dramatic inclinations, but he struggles with Pride and Wrath as many do.

"Please, Father, I don't know if I can reach her...would you speak with her?"

"Of course, my child." Joseph lays a hand on her shoulder, hoping to ease some of the young woman's nerves.

Layla and Theodore fall in step behind him as he makes his way to the door of the church; his brothers and sister are near the exit. Jacob's scarred forearms are crossed over his chest, John fiddling with the sleeves of his coat, and Faith leaning against a pew.

"There's a cop outside," Jacob tells him in warning.

"She's harmless, I promise."

Layla words do nothing to ease the tension in the eldest Seed's body language, prepared to fight for his family and the project whenever necessary. Joseph squeezes his older brother's shoulder as he passes, hoping the contact can do something to ease the tension within him.