Chapter 28 | "meet the newbie"

Start from the beginning

"Hi Jihyun" Jaemin says with a shy smile.

"Nana! It's been so long since we've talked!" She says, giving him a quick hug, "well I'll let you two catch up, I didn't mean to interrupt." She says, backing away from Jaemin and turning to Jeno, "I'll be in the center for whenever you're ready."

She turns to leave but Jeno reaches out to carefully grab her arm, pulling her back towards them.

"I was just leaving anyway, let's go together hmm?" He says cheerily. She nods in agreement and waves a small goodbye to Jaemin.

Jeno turns to smirk at the jealous Jaemin as he walks away with Jihyun, putting arm around her waist as they walk back.

Jaemin stares at their retreating figures, his jealousy growing as he hears their laughter echo down the hallway. With clenched fists he turns and heads towards the cafeteria.

Jeno and Jihyun arrive back at the Ace Center. They walk through the now familiar hallway and continue discussing training as they enter the center.

"Wassup Jihyun?" Says a voice in front of them. The pair snap their heads forward to see Mark, Haechan, and Sungchan sitting in the middle of the combat mat.

"What are you guys doing here? Only Mark has clearance to be here." She asks, staring at them in confusion.

"They're my guests," he says with a smile, jumping off the mat. He walks up to the pair with a cocked eyebrow.

"Whats going on here?" He asks with a smirk, gesturing to Jeno's arm around her waist. The pair jump apart, their eyes widening and cheeks turning red.

"Nothing, nothing, we were just walking back for some training. What are you guys doing here?"

"Wanted to meet the newbie" Mark replies, looking at Jeno.

"Oh right. Jeno, this is Mark, part of my council and in charge of weapons. He's the best assassin in NCT and one of my closest friends." She says as the two shake hands.

"I've heard a lot about you Jeno. You're exam results were pretty impressive" Mark says with an intimidating stare. Jeno bows respectfully as he shakes Mark's hand, looking at him with a mix of fear and admiration.

"Thank you, Mark. You're a legend, honestly. I hope to be as good as you one day." Jeno says nervously. Mark just smiles a bit before walking away.

"He's actually a total softie, he just likes to seem scary." Jihyun whispers to Jeno as they approach the other two.

"This shortie over here is Donghyuck, our explosives specialist. Watch out with this one, he's a total savage and will roast you to no end." She rolls her eyes as Donghyuck nods to Jeno.

"This human tree right here" she says pointing to the taller boy, "is my protege Sungchan. I trained him myself." She says proudly. Sungchan stands and smiles at Jeno.

"You're in good hands with this one" he says, playfully messing up Jihyun's hair, "she's tough snd will work you hard but she knows what she's doing. I was too scared to even pick up a knife when I met her and now I'm an ace."

Jeno nods enthusiastically, bowing at both of the other boys and returning their smiles.

"So do you guys want to join us for training?" Jihyun asks, causing Jeno's eyes to widen.

"Duh, why else would we be here? Say hi for 3 minutes and then dip?" Donghyuck snaps back, standing up and cracking his knuckles as he rolled his eyes.

"You're always just so kind Hyuckie" she says, climbing onto the mat and shoving him playfully. Jeno climbs up too and the five of them begin to stretch.