The Dragon Prince Short Story: A Lesson To Ease The Mind

"No!" Rayla's disturbed cry echoed the dark cavern walls of the Dragon Queen's nest. The smell of death and the copper aftertaste on the tongue mixed with the frozen particles of the Aspiro Frigis spell. Rayla hopelessly struggled in a frozen prison, made to watch as the ominous figure of Viren is slowly approaching the bleeding body of her lover with murderous intent. If he wanted, he could've ended it already, but he wanted nothing more than to torment the crying girl, begging him to stop, to kill her instead of him, proposing anything in exchange for his life. But her desperation only entertained him more, fueling his actions.

Viren effortlessly grabbed the unconscious Callum by the collar and held him up in front of the girl to gloat over her distress. She had exhausted every plead she had, left mindlessly begging the mage to stop with tears flowing down her face in streaks. The man pressed the end of his staff onto the boy's back. As soon as Rayla understood what was going to happen next, she tried crying out but she was too late.

"Callum!" The elf screamed as the blood of her lover was about to sprinkle her face. But to her confusion, she had found herself to be in a familiar room, in a rather comfortable bed. Her heart was racing, her breathing was shallow and quick, and she could feel tears rolling down her pale cheeks.

"Whoah there," the all too familiar human boy was the only one else in the room. He quickly ran to Rayla, gently holding her shoulders, "What happened? Are you ok?"

She ignored his query, wrapping her arms around him and pulling him tight as if making sure he's really there instead. But as soon as she felt the warmth of his body, the steady breathing tickling the back of her neck, and the gentle embrace of his arms, she sighed in relief.

She finally looked around. It was late morning, the sun was already up and the sky was clear and blue with a few small fluffy white clouds drifting across it. The window, by which Callum was standing before she woke up was wide open, letting the fresh air and the chirping of birds. It really was a tranquil morning.

"I'm sorry... I've had a nightmare..." She hesitated, quickly drying her eyes while he couldn't see.

"You've been having them more and more often after the battle on the mountain." Callum stated with a concerned voice, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I'm fine." She let go, feinting a cheerful expression to try and put him at ease.

It didn't. In fact, it had quite the opposite effect. But Callum remained silent nonetheless and nodded with a warm smile.

The rest of the morning was about as usual as it gets. They got done with their morning routine though Rayla was deep in thought the entire time, snapping out of it only when she was asked something by Callum or Ezran. And when they were going for a little stroll, the elf finally said what was on her mind.

"Callum, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, what's on your mind?"

"I know your training with Soren didn't go so well..."

Callum grimaced as he remembered all the embarrassment he had suffered from the not-yet-redeemed guy, but he nodded. Ezran, who was going with them, giggled under his breath. Even Bait made a mocking grumble, though not without a hint of sympathy and grumpy pity.

"... can I try teaching you some sword fighting?"

"Rayla, I don't need sword fighting," He quickly drew the Fulminis rune in front of himself and immediately collapsed it, "I'm a mage."

"True, but you only know five spells, one of which requires a moon opal, another is very situation-specific, and the last one is mage wings."

His smug expression faded away as he considered what she had said, "Ok, yeah, I see your point..."