o9. the astonomy tower

ELLIE SAT IN THE COMMON ROOM. She was wrapped up in a blanket in front of the fire, attempting to warm her bones after the second task. Ellie had tried to push George out of her mind all day; but he kept sneaking back - especially when they had to share a common room.

Fred, Lee and George sat on the far side plotting some scheme no doubt. Ellie kept glancing over when she caught George looking away out of her peripheral, but quickly snapped her head back and thought of something else. George's feelings weren't mutual and she had humiliated herself.

Ellie tried to think about Eva and how proud with how well she was doing in the tournament. Eva had really proved Ellie wrong. George's loud laugh broke Ellie out of her thoughts and she looked over to the corner where the trio sat; her eyes met George's and locked for a second before she turned away.

If this was this difficult now, how would it be this summer when they went home? There's not many places to hide from each other at the Burrow

If this was this difficult now, how would it be this summer when they went home? There's not many places to hide from each other at the Burrow. Really, why were they avoiding each other? If George's feelings weren't mutual, then why not be friends? Ellie attempted to reason with herself, but her heart broke. The pair would never be the same, even if she did manage to mend their friendship.

Ellie sighed and shook her blanket off. She had to attempt to mend things with George, even if just partially, for the rest of the family's sake. She painfully walked over to George and smiled a half smile. "Take a walk?" She asked nervously.

"Of course." He said quickly, jumping up and following Ellie out of the portrait.

The two didn't talk at all as they walked to their destination. Ellie didn't really know where she was heading, but she was the one that was leading. She decided on the astronomy tower; as maybe it would be empty and they could actually talk.

George looked down at Ellie as they walked, her lips pursed as if she was about to explode. He thought about how mind-blowing it had been when she kissed him. This was his opportunity; he could tell her now.

They reached the tower and to Ellie's relief, they were alone. She leaned over and watched the snow fall on the grass below, sighing, she scooted over so George could join.

"I-" Ellie began, but George had began to speak at the same time. They stared at each other for a minute before George nodded for Ellie to go on.

"I'm sorry about the other night." She said quietly, turning her eyes back to the snow. George cocked his head sideways in confusion, why would she be sorry? "It was totally the whiskey talking." She lied as a last ditch resort to mend their friendship; maybe if he thought her feelings weren't genuine they could put all this behind them.

"Really?" George asked, wondering if Ellie could hear the hurt in his voice. Ellie looked away to hide the tears in her eyes, biting her lip. "Ellie, quit beating around the bush. Merlin, we've been friends since were 11 years old. Heck, we live together. You know me better than anyone, 'sides Fred. Just be honest with me." George begged, he wanted to get the full story from Ellie before confessing. Ellie shook her head furiously, pushing herself off the wall.

"Where do you see yourself in the future, George?" She asked, turning her back to him. "Because I know what I want." George remained silent, waiting for her to continue. "I see you. All I see is you. I don't care where I work, where I live.. all I see in my future is you. I love you." Her stands started flapping as she began to get flustered. "I understand if you don't feel the same. But, regardless of how our feelings are, I still see you in my future. Together or not. You are my best friend, George." She had turned around to face him now. "It has been so hard to not talk to you, not joke with you. If you don't love me, George, please don't let it affect our friendship - because either way, I can't live without you."

"Why on this earth would you think I don't love you?" George asked, taking a step closer. Ellie cocked an eyebrow as if to say he already knew the answer to that. Ellie shook her head and took a step back, farther away from George.

"We'll never be the same, George. I love you. I know you love me. But it's not the same love, you made that very clear the other night." Ellie hissed, hurt.

George was tired of waiting, Fred was always the impulsive twin and George more calculated; George liked to think before he done something. But, where had that got him? He decided it was now or never; he ran to close the gap between hisself and Ellie, grabbing her waist, they stumbled slightly before George steadied them. George slammed his lips into hers and took his other hand to cup her cheek.

Ellie was confused, shocked and overwhelmingly happy all at the same time. After the initial shock faded, she kissed him back. When they both finally broke a part, they were breathless. George rested his head on Ellie's forehead, their noses touching. "You wanna know when I first realized I loved you?"

Ellie nodded, signaling George to continue. "The Cup, when I couldn't find you. I knew then I couldn't live without you. Running through the crowd, I wasn't even worried about the death eaters. I just needed to find you."

"Why didn't you tell me, you numb nut?" Ellie joked with happy tears in her eyes.

"I was scared. I didn't want to lose what we already have." George confessed, wrapping his long arms around Ellie. "Then everything happened with Eva and we started fighting...
I'm going to be honest, I love you... but I didn't like you very much then."

Ellie chuckled, "I didn't like myself either."

"Be mine Ellie." George begged, "I'm tired of waiting."

"Me too." Ellie said, before smashing her lips back onto George's.