Chapter 13: Fey Family Fault

Start from the beginning

"Where did you get that?" Maya asked surprised.

"Oh, well, your big sister gave it to me. After I used it on accident" I answered her.

"But I thought on one could use it, or at least that is what I was taught" Pearls said as she tilted her head to the side.

Maya blinked at me a few times before shaking her head.

"Mia never told me she found his descendant. Though, I am grateful she did" Maya said calmly as a bright smiled formed on her face, "Ok, Nick, I want you to defend me!"

I was surprised it was that simple while Makoto seemed relieved until he realized something.

"Wait, what are we defending you from?" Makoto asked confused.

Maya's smile vanished as she then recalled the reason for her being behind bars. I informed the two of them of what happened outside of the Fey Manor. They were both shocked to learn of Chief's death.

"But who would want to kill Miss Fey?" Makoto asked in disbelief, "We took care of Prosecutor Von Karma, so who would want her dead? It doesn't make any sense"

I can agree with him on that expect there might be one other possibility. I don't think Maya and Pearl will like it either.

"What about the head of the family issue? Could that have been a possible reason for her murder?" I asked hesitantly as I recalled what Iris told me about it.

Maya could only nod her head in agreement.

"That is a strong possibility actually" she said sadly, "You see, the women in our family have strong, mystic energy dating back to the Ancient times. We are supposedly the descendants of the Asiand's Ancient family where the power of dragon flows through their and our blood. Due to that blood, we have the ability to channel spirits as well as talk and see them, but this is in the women's blood only. Which is a bit of a problem"

"How could that be a problem?" I asked her surprised.

"Well, whenever someone marries into the family, the power is only awakened by my females. No males can have this power. The men often leave after their children are born when they find out they are not needed anymore" Maya explained sadly.

You know, now that I think about it, Chief only had a picture of her with Maya and Pearls. She didn't have one of her parents.

"But can't the men do like chores and stuff around the house? I don't see why they can't do that" Makoto questioned confused.

"You're not wrong. Men can do that in the family, but they don't want to. Very few men prefer to do chores and raise children. All most men have wanted is the ability to rule the family" Maya answered.

Pearls began to sniffle as tears were falling from her face. Makoto kneeled before her and pulled her into a warm hug. Maya and I looked very worried for little Pearls. That is not easy. Having your father leave after your born just because he couldn't have the power.

"My mother disappeared one day. We didn't know our father either. Mia became a lawyer to figure out what happened to her. Though, she got involved in something much bigger which is the Dark Age of Law. She met Prosecutor Diego, Chief Prosecutor Lana Skye, Defense Raymond Shields, and Defense Gregory Edgeworth. They were really a team. It made me think everything was going to be alright until what happened to Prosecutor Diego and Defense Edgeworth... Now, my sister is gone, and I am being blamed for it..." Maya said sadly as she began to cry, "My own family won't even help me! Who is going to help me?!"

She hid her face in her hands as she cried. She's alone and no one is going to believe her. I recalled Chief's words and smiled brightly.

"Don't worry. Makoto and I will believe in you and prove your innocence as we find the truth about who really killed your sister!" I said strongly as I presented my attorney's badge and magatama to her.