"We'll just hang around for a bit."

***

The trees swayed leisurely in the breeze around him, as Kino placed his boot on the edge of the roof of the Sakamaki mansion, looking down in contempt. The whole place smelled like rotting flesh and spilt blood. His brother Reiji had been plucked out of the household, and the mansion had now been inherited by Ayato and his pesky little human. Yuuri looked back at him, his shirt stained with wolf blood, his suspenders splashed with holy water, almost burning up at the seams.

"She said she'd come over here, but I do not know why she choose this place," Kino reflected, looking down at his own blood soaked clothes. The rain clouds had gathered around them already, casting a looming shadow over the mansion.

"Perhaps she knows that we were spying on the Sakamakis?" Yuuri suggested, looking at him, his auburn hair ruffling in the wind. His dark circles had exceeded further, making him look more tired than ghoulish.

"She has been here enough, maybe she does know about us," Kino sat down on the edge, looking tired as well. "With what the Tsukinamis have in store for us, we cannot just spare time for some stupid chitchat, don't you think?"

Yuuri nodded. "That's true, but in this war, we need some allies to back us up."

A faint smell of human blood filled the air, as someone walked towards both of them, their footsteps soft on the hard concrete floor. Kino caught a glimpse of a white billowing dress and dark hair, as she stood right in front of them, smiling. The flower resting on the crown of her head had still not withered. Kino laughed, knowing how predictable the entire exchange would be. "Hello Traveller."

Yuuri let out an incomprehensible sound.

"Tell your servant to wait for us to finish," she glared at Yuuri, her hands clenching the end of her pretty dress, her eyes turning from the deep golden shade into a strange crimson one. He understood that the ancient ones did not take a liking for the ghouls, and in fact even he was sometimes surprised that he was staying with Yuuri of all people. But he had been brought up by Yuuri's father, and this was the least he could do to repay him.

"He stays, Traveller," Kino rejoiced in the fact that he'd made that bitch angry for once. "He's my partner, and he gets to listen every word that falls out of your mouth."

The girl unclenched her fist, not withdrawing her murderous gaze from Yuuri. Yuuri acted just as he was accustomed to; stoic and unfeeling. Ghouls rarely felt anything, even though they were so closely related to humans. Whereas creatures like Kino only lived in an existence full of anger and hatred, and rarely did any other emotion creep up in their life. Maybe jealousy. Maybe the need for a bond, maybe to mate. Never love for the sake of it.

"It's been so long, in my life I used to hate humans and ghouls alike," her voice sounded apologetic. "They smell so similar."

Kino was still suspicious. This woman was known to be manipulative. She had kept his dear little brother wrapped around her finger by using his love for the human girl in the mansion for so long. He had to be careful or else he'd be played by her as well. He was the elder brother after all. He had to be strong for the sake of Ayato.

"Well, you're one to talk." Kino laughed. "You practically smell like a living one now. If it were not for the decaying soul inside of you, I would have mistaken you for a human."

The Traveller smiled. "So you noticed that I got a soul."

Kino crossed his arms across his chest. "You did exchange something precious to gain it."

The Traveller looked at him, her eyes devoid of sentiment. "You do not know what that means, you filthy bastard."

Kino smirked at her, finally being able to see her dwindling emotion. "So you do feel after all. The curse has worked well in your favour."