the prince's first friend

After the ball, Darryl went home. He felt happy to finally have some closure, but now he went back to the life of a low class teenage boy. He went back to school that following Monday. Before going home, he and Vincent brought some food from the restaurant to Darryl's farm. They dropped it off to Darryl's parents and then Darryl went home.

Darryl and Vincent parted ways. Darryl's parents worked on the farm from early hours to late ones. They had a small amount of land, which they used for their farm. Their farm was out of the village, but they still wanted to live in the village so Darryl could get a proper education.

Darryl came home at around 5, and when he came back home he was surprised to see the prince sitting on his porch. The prince was staring down at the dirt ground, spacers out.

Darryl stood in front of him. Zak stopped spacing out and looked up at Darryl. "Hello," Zak said awkwardly.

Darryl sat next to Zak on the steps of the poor boy's porch. "Why are you here?" Darryl asked, "How did you get my address?"

"You told me your full name, my family had the residence of each family in a book. All I had to do is look for your last name,"

It felt like stalking to Darryl, but he didn't say that. He just nodded. "I just came here to say sorry. For my mom,"

Darryl laughed lightly, "It's ok. You don't have to apologize. I'm used to it," Darryl says. Zak frowns.

The two boys look up and see a bunch of teenage girls giggling and pointing at Zak. "We should probably talk somewhere else," Zak whispers.

Darryl nods and stands up. He helps the prince get up as well. "I know the perfect place. Follow me,"

The prince followed the peasant boy to an old graveyard. "This place is creepy," Zak says walking around the empty gravestone.

"This place used to be where the orphanage was. It got bulldozed, though," Darryl sighed.

The two took a seat on empty grass.

"What is it like?" Darryl asks. Zak looks over at him, not knowing what he means, "Royal life."

Zak brushed hair out of his face and sighed. "It's not as fun as you think. Don't get me wrong, I love being the prince, but I can't find a real friend. I have so many responsibilities. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like it outside of the castle. Outside of royalty."

Darryl scoffed light heartedly. "Trust me, that's not fun either. I only have one friend. He's my best friend but we run out of things to say. Plus, he's super awkward," Darryl was talking about Vincent. He sighed.

Zak looked over at Darryl and his face lit up. "Will you be my friend?"

Darryl looked over to the prince, shocked. He started to smile. "Sure."

The two boys smiled at each other. Darryl started to get up, "It's getting late. We should go back,"

Before Darryl walked away, the prince held onto the back of Darryl's sweater, making him stop. "We just got here. It's only 6. We can stay awhile longer," Zak starts to say. He lets go of Darryl and the boys go back to sitting on the empty grass. "Plus, I snuck out and I don't want to have to face my mom," the royal mutters. 

Darryl laughs. "Do you want to eat?" Darryl asks the royal, "There's a nearby place where we can."

"I'm not that hungry," Zak says. All he wanted to do is stay in the graveyard with his new friend. Darryl nods. Darryl was extremely hungry, but stayed.

The sunset and the boys watched from the grave site. "What was I like?" Zak asked the peasant boy as they watched the sun go down, "In the orphanage."

Darryl smiled softly at the prince as he remembered all the fun times the two had in the orphanage. "You were pretty loud. You were very energetic and loved ranting."

Zak looked up at the now starry sky. "That sounds nothing like me."

Darryl nodded. "It was you though. Do you remember anything about me?"

Zak started to lay down. He placed one of his hands on his stomach. "I remember the day I learned I was getting adopted. I was playing with a green eyed boy when a worker called me out. They told me I was getting adopted."

Silence. "Anything else?" Darryl asks.

"I asked the worker, 'is Darryl coming.' She said no. I started crying, but I stopped because I needed to tell you the news, I needed to keep a brave face on. I remember telling that green eyed boy, you, the news. You started crying. I didn't know what to do, so I made an empty promise."

Darryl wondered why Zak never invited him over. He decided to ask, "How come you never invited me over?" He laid down next to Zak and looked at the starry sky.

Zak shrugged, but Darryl didn't see that since he was so focused on the sky. "I don't know. I remember asking my mom once. I don't remember exactly, I think she said to only play with the upper-class kids."

Darryl nodded. "I see."

The two laid in silence watching the moon rise higher into the sky and the stars become brighter. A shooting star ran across the sky.

Zak was surprised and sat up, pointing at the sky, "Woah! Did you see that? Was that a plane?"

Darryl giggled, "That's a shooting star! Make a wish."

Darryl closed his eyes and made his wish. Zak made his wish quietly as well. He wished that Darryl was a real friend.

Darryl sat up next to Zak. "It's pretty late, and we're in a graveyard. We should probably go back now."

Zak sighed but nodded. The two boys walked on their own to their houses. Zak walked back to the palace, followed by stalkers and fanboys and fan girls.

The Queen was mad at Zak when he came home, but he just ignored her.

He walked up into his room and changed into pajamas that were made by his own personal designer. It was blue and had a yellow duck in the center of the shirt. The pants were a light blue with a white grid.

He sat on his bed and decided to finish up opening gifts

He grabbed a pretty blue gift bag and carefully took out the tissue paper. He read a note that he smiled like an idiot to. He saw the doll and hugged it.

——————————————————————————
Thank you for reading part 3 :)

Feel free to give suggestions and vote if you enjoyed!
——————————————————————————

Words: 1128