unrequited

~Darryl's POV~

There we were, together we sat on my bed and Vincent was kissing me. On the lips. I just sat there, not knowing what to do next. I had my eyes open the whole time, panicking.

Maybe it was just a friendly kiss, all in platonic means? But he's kissing me on my lips. This was my first kiss, Vincent was my best friend, how was I supposed to react?

After a few seconds, our lips separate. He looks at me, his face very red. My face was probably just as red, I didn't know how to respond.

"Sorry," he utters with no shame.

I didn't know how to reply, so in times likes these I say that the first things in mind, even if I don't mean it. "It's fine,"

He giggles, "Did you like it?" He asks.

Another thing I didn't know how to respond with. I couldn't come up with any more words. I just shrug and look off to the side. I feel guilty for just shrugging so I nod my head slightly. He starts to laugh again. He gave me another quick kiss, again, I have no idea what to do.

"So..?" Vincent's voice trails off, "Will you go out with me?"

I didn't have feelings for Vincent, I just accepted his kiss because I didn't want to hurt him, but in no means did I want to put the commitment to date him. I never knew he had feelings for me. I couldn't think of him the same way anymore.

"I'm sorry. I just don't think I'm ready to date yet," I tell him, my voice getting quieter with each word.

He nods and looks up at me to have another laugh. What was I supposed to do? Vincent was my best friend but to him I'm a dating option. All this time that he was shy and awkward around me, it was because he liked me? I knew I had to ask some questions even if it made some things even more awkward.

"Why do you that though?" I ask, trying to keep my voice lighthearted and high.

He starts to frown, "Did you not like it?"

I look away, hiding most of my face with my hair. "I'm just confused,"

He shrugs. "There's not a lot to explain. It just felt right. I love you, Darryl,"

My heart starts beating faster. So many things were starting to make sense but those words created even more questions.

"How long have you been feeling these feelings?" The tone of my voice sounded a bit more aggressive than I wanted it too, I hope we didn't notice.

He brushes hair out of his face and sighs. "For a couple months now. If you didn't like it you can just tell me," his face started to get pale and his expression told me he was disappointed.

My breath gets shaky, I didn't want him to be mad at me. "It was just so unexpected and I don't know how to react. I'm just very confused," I try saying in the most soothing voice I had.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No! I'm just confused. I'm sorry," I mumble the last few words.

"It's fine," I could tell he didn't mean it. "Do you like me back though?"

"No?" I say unsure myself, once the word came out my mouth I instantly regretted it, knowing I probably hurt his feelings.

"Oh," his words rung with disappointment. He avoided eye contact.

"But I do like you! Just not in that way. I mean, I love you just as a friend," I knew I wasn't making anything better.

He nods slowly. I have a few more things to say but I pick out the one that sounds best to me. "This might come out wrong- but maybe if you can just get rid of those feelings, we can go back to normal?" That sounded a lot worse than I anticipated.

Even though I wasn't making any sense, he still nods as if he would. I've never felt love in that way before so I didn't have any experience with stuff like this. "Ok then," Vincent says while clearly forcing a smile.

I start to smile myself. "Really! This is great, we can go back to being best friends!" I beam.

I wasn't sure if he actually got rid of his feelings, but I was able to convince myself that he did. I thought it would be harder to get rid of feelings for someone you liked but I stand corrected.

His smile was weak but I convinced myself that he too was happy we could be best friends again. "So what do-" my words get tangled with Vincent, I stop talking so I could hear what he says.

"Do you like Zak?" His voice raises as we talk over each other.

Now I was even more confused. Why would I have any reason to like Zak? "What? Why would you think that? Come one Vince, let's just continue this sleepover without the weirdness,"

"Weirdness? So you're saying my kiss was weird?" He snaps, his voice raised at me, slightly intimidating me.

"No! That's not what I meant! We've went over this, come on we can do something else,"

I get off the bed cherishing every free inch of space without him next to me, it was a odd feeling. I walk up to my door and hear my front door unlocking. I knew it was my parents so I didn't bother to go and answer it. I watch the clock. It was 9, time seemed to fly when Vincent and I were talking and having our deep conversations.

I pull out some of my pajamas. "I'm going to change," I mumble to Vincent before going out of my room into my bathroom.

I pull off my clothes and pull over my pajamas. I took my time away from Vincent to think.

All this time, Vincent liked me. I never even know he was into guys. Is this why he keeps asking me if I was replacing him? Is this he kept asking about Zak?

All of this made me wonder about everything at the flower field. Did everything he told me in French really mean what he said they meant?

Now I can't think of him just as a friend. I make a last second decision. I knew it was 9, but I still had time. I pull back over my sweater but keep on the rest of my pajamas.

Sneakily, I leave the bathroom and exit my house.

I was going to see Zak.

——————————————————————————
Thank you for reading part 12 :)

Feel free to give suggestions and vote if you enjoyed!
——————————————————————————
Words: 1126