Chapter 1

"Get back here, Naruto!" Iruka was chasing Naruto through the village.

Uh oh. Iruka sensei is chasing me. I've gotta get out of here. A five year old Naruto was running and laughing through the streets of the village after painting all of the Great Stone Faces of the Hokage's. "Haha, you won't be able to catch me!" Naruto took a turn, trying to throw Iruka off his trail, but as soon as he turned, he bumped straight into someone blocking his path.

"Now what do you think you're doing?" Iruka was standing right in front of him.

"Iruka-sensei?! How did you?" Naruto was staring at Iruka in shock.

Iruka was laughing at the boy's expression on his face. "I am a lot more skilled than you. Catching you wasn't hard." Iruka held out his hand to the young boy standing in front of him. "Now come on. You need to clean off all that paint. And afterwards, I'll get you some ramen."

"Ramen?! That's all you had to say ya know. Let's get going!" Naruto grabbed Iruka's hand and started pulling him back towards the stone faces.

Naruto had been cleaning off paint for a while before Iruka decided to speak up. "Say, Naruto?"

"What is it, Iruka-sensei?"

"Why did you paint the word idiot on all of the faces of the Hokage's? You even painted it on the face of the Fourth Hokage, and he's your dad."

Naruto looked up to Iruka, a scowl on his face. "Yeah, and he stays in his stupid office all day but won't let me do anything without being watched the whole time." Naruto's face turned sad as he finished cleaning up the last of the paint. "No one will even be my friend because I'm the 'Hokage's son' and they 'don't want to be watched all the time' ya know."

Iruka felt bad for Naruto. So when Naruto had finished cleaning everything, he took him out for ramen like he promised, and let him pick as many toppings as he wanted. "You know, I don't think Lord Fourth wants you to feel like he's forgotten about you. He's just really busy, and since he can't keep an eye on you all the time, he has others do it. He wants you to stay safe."

"Yeah well, it's not like anything could happen. I'm not even allowed out of the village without him."

"That'll change when you get older and graduate from the academy and become a genin. Then you'll be able to go out on all sorts of missions."

"You really think so, Iruka-sensei?" Naruto asked with a big smile on his face.

Iruka smiled back at Naruto. "Of course I do."

"Then you can bet I'm going to graduate and become the best ninja ever, ya know!"

"I'm sure you will be." Iruka chuckled at Naruto's excitement.

When they were all done eating their ramen, Iruka walked Naruto home, making sure he got home before it got too late. "Alright, I'll see you in class, Naruto."

"Bye, Iruka-sensei! Thanks for the ramen!" Naruto waved goodbye to his sensei as he walked inside.

Minato was sitting inside when he heard the front door open and Naruto yell goodbye to Iruka. "Hey, Naruto." Minato had a smile on his face as he looked at Naruto.

Naruto stood in the doorway, shocked to see his dad sitting in their front room waiting for him. It wasn't long before his shock was replaced with happiness. "Dad, you're home!" Naruto, forgetting all about the frustration he was feeling earlier, ran and jumped into his dad's arms and gave him the biggest hug he could. "I thought you were going to be late tonight."

"I decided I wanted to spend the night with you instead." Minato hugged Naruto back. "Naruto?"

"Yeah?"