Eight || Yorknew City

Start from the beginning

Adjusting my jeans, I got up and silently walked over to where the reserved boy sat. He didn't notice until I sat down next to him. His head whipped round quickly, an almost panicked look in his eyes when I startled him by suddenly appearing there. "Do you mind?" I asked rather quietly, referring to the seat I took next to him. He shook his head.

Many minutes had passed with neither of us speaking. I didn't mind too much, it was just nice to sit with somebody for once. Especially sitting with him. But I suppose he didn't feel that way as he interrupter the silence by asking "How was your sister?"

I opened my eyes. For some reason it was a surprise to me to know that he still remembered what I had told him so many months ago. "She was okay." But then I frowned. "No, actually, her condition worsened. She wasn't doing very good by the time May came around." I let out a long sigh. I wasn't looking at Kurapika but I figured he wanted me to continue by remaining silent. "I didn't want to leave her. But I knew I had to. Even she and my Nen teacher kept telling me that I should go and get a job."

"Nen teacher?" He asked.

"The same woman who trained me in basic combat, when I returned she was taught me Nen." That was a better memory. I thought back to when I took the water divination test. Just like that day how I saw Obachan's students doing with leaves afloat on glasses of water, I placed my hands around a similar glass. I performed Ren and the leaf slowly began moving on the water's surface. You're a manipulator, Obachan told me. I remember being ecstatic that I fell under such a cool category. I was happy.

"The gun," I pulled out the revolver from it's sheath and showed him. "It was a gift from my teacher. I created my ability based off of it, actually."

Kurapika reached for the gun and took it from my hands gently as he observed it. "The markings on the frame," he held it closer to his face and traced his fingers over the small cursive words engraved into the metal. "It's a noble quote written in an old language which is commonly spoken in the Othagi tribe. Those who fought honourably during the battle between the Othagi and the enemy tribe were gifted with revolvers etched with this strong motto."

[Bro istg I made this shit up ion know tf I'm doing I'm just tryina demonstrate how the reader is impressed with Kurapika's knowledge and how he is interested in her stories okay what they're talking about rn is insignificant]

I gawked at him, taken back by his awareness of the subject. I smiled, "You're right. My teacher told me about it when I asked her too, she belonged to that tribe and partook in the battle which occurred almost two decades ago. She handed the gun down to me, she planned to give this valuable weapon to the student who she saw as most promising."

He gave the gun back to me. I slid it back into the leather belt gun holster, still surprised by how he knew so much about a very unknown tribe. Perhaps it was because he came from a clan which was also hidden from the world.

"And you?" I asked. "How did you learn Nen? Why choose chains?" I prompted him with questions. Kurapika was never too interactive, he didn't speak about himself much unless he was asked first I noticed during the Hunter exam. But I wanted to know.

The boy lifted his hand and studied the chains which covered his skeletal fingers. "It was right after the exam when I went to look for a job. The Hunter agency rejected me, saying that I wasn't ready. Later I found an old man in the forest who I fought and lost to. I asked him to take me on as his student and he did, spending months with me to teach me Nen." So he learned Nen from a hobo in a forest, I thought. Great. "And as for why I chose chains for my conjuration," He continued. "It's just like how I told my Sensei: There are monsters in this world that need to be chained down to hell."

Damn. That sure shut me up. There was nothing left for me to say or do other than stare into his dark eyes which made me think me of rusty copper coins. His brown copper eyes. It just didn't sit right with me.

"Why are your eyes brown?" I didn't realise my tone had changed until after I blurted out the question. I sounded displeased but that was only because I was disappointed in myself for not noticing sooner.

Kurapika on the other hand looked astounded that I took notice. And then his gaze drifted towards the window where he watched the view below. "I would wear grey contacts in case my eyes turned scarlet. Now that I've learned to control my eyes I don't need to wear them anymore."

It was a simple answer. It barely even felt like there was a difference between the pearly silver pupils and the mysterious hazel ones yet, at the same time, it felt like his whole face was new to me. I liked it better this way, it was comforting to know that those were his real eyes.

Smiling affectionately, I reached out to the blonde, gently turning his face to me. My left hand rested on his warm cheek as he stared at me with a rather startled expression. And then his face softened as he relaxed under my touch. My thumb trailed up to his left eye as I pulled ever so slightly on his pale skin, watching as his eye drooped with the light tug. "I like your eyes better this way. They're more beautiful when they're natural." I whispered softly.

I don't know what came over me to do that, it felt like my body just moved on it's own, as if every inch of my being was pressuring me to hold his face so gently while humming sweet words to him. Kurapika only stared at me, lips parted slightly and trembling as if ready to say something but without anything to say.

"Since when were you two were so close."

My eyes widened before quickly retracting my hand from the Kurta's cheek. "B-Basho-San!" My face burned of embarrassment to see Basho leaning against the back of our seats. He must have heard everything. I heard Baise laughing so I looked across the jet to see her snickering from behind her make-up palette.

"Leave them alone, Basho. They're kids. It's natural for them to have feelings." She wasn't teasing, it sounded genuine which only made my blush deepen.

Frantically, I waved my hands around as I squeezed my eyes shut as if it would help for the two to unsee and unhear everything that happened between Kurapika and I. "It's not like that! Really!"

There was a soft chuckle to my right. Kurapika just laughed. He had his hand over his mouth in attempt to hide his light giggle. I stared at him, mouth agape, wondering what he found so hilarious. "You get easily embarrassed," he said. "It's funny to watch you get so worked up."

Basho and Baise only burst out laughing at his statement. And, at one point, I thought I heard Melody giggling softly too. It appeared that I was the only one who became immediately shy after being caught in my actions towards a particular brown-eyed bastard. But that was okay. Because I finally got to see Kurapika smile. I want to see him smile like that more often.

I huffed and turned my face away from the others to try and avoid smiling. "Weirdo."

~

- It wasn't a coincidence she thought of copper while seeing his brown eyes for the first time. Copper symbolises Venus, the goddess of love. Just putting that out there in case nobody caught on ;) -