13 - Paper Cranes

"Ow" Atsumu exclaimed, rubbing his forehead as Mayumi giggled softly

"Ow" Atsumu exclaimed, rubbing his forehead as Mayumi giggled softly. "What was that for!" He childishly whined, picking up the paper crane that had unkindly pecked his forehead.

"You're spacing out, what's up?"

At the sight of her concerned demeanor, his face softened and he internally cursed himself for being so hesitant with his confession. After all, his spontaneousness was what characterized him.

" 's nothing," he eventually replied, a deep set frown forming as he felt a tingling nervousness once again.

Like a fool, he had initially been curious about the girl,  approaching her with the intent of getting a small taste and having his fun before ghosting her as he usually did with every other girl. Growing attached wasn't on his agenda and neither was falling so deeply that he was tripping over himself with every encounter.

Her charm instantly grew on him and before he knew it, she had become someone irreplaceable.

He didn't know how to function without her.

Never had he felt so strongly about anyone, nor experienced such foreign sensations.

Giving Atsumu a doubtful stare, Mayumi dropped the subject, opting instead to pat his hand reassuringly. At her attempt of comfort, he unexpectantly flinched and moved away, turning his head to avoid eye contact.

Something was definitely wrong.

Although Mayumi tried to brush it off, it certainly did hurt a bit and she felt like a repulsive being by how fast he pulled away. "You're a filthy child," a taunt voice echoed and she fought the looming of deprecating comments.

Fortunately, a loud clang from Atsumu dissipated her thoughts and attracted her attention to the blob of yellow directly before her. He was face down on the wood desk, arms curled around his head as if he was a child playing seven up.

It was just then that she picked up on a bright redness peeking through his blond locks, which shockingly, she soon recognized as his ear.

"How cute," his low voice shyly murmured, his pair of chocolate brown eyes peeking out from over his sweater clothed arms. He didn't mean to be so violent about it. It was a dramatic over-reaction if he said so himself, but he couldn't help it when it came to her.

He couldn't help the butterflies that fluttered in his stomach or the acceleration of his thundering pulse when she cutely patted his hand, even if the contact was minimal.

Soon, her breathy laughs hit his ears like a stunning melody and he jolted up in panic. "Hey! Why are y'a laughing, it's not funny," he protested, grappling onto her shoulders with his large hands, making the girl eventually look up with a pretty smile.

"How cute," she repeated, gesturing towards him, "Atsumu-san." It was a cheeky way of admitting she found him adorable and by the way his already firm grip tighten as another wave of heat flushed his cheeks, he realized so as well.

"It's weird how flustered you are though. Since you get compliments all the time I would think you'd be used to it," she noted, "but your cheeks are incredibly red."

"They're not!" he wanted to retort, but his mouth went slack as he was stuck relishing the feel of her soft hand brushing against his skin while she carefully moved his hair from his face.

"How particular, it keeps falling out."

The act, by nature, was nothing sexual, just an innocent gesture, but it somehow sent tingles down his spine. He subtly leaned into her touch, unconsciously nuzzling his cheek against it while encoding the pleasant feeling into his memory.

His dominant personality hated how she left him shivering with mere touches, but at the same time, he couldn't deny how much he enjoyed it.

To much dismay, good things don't last forever. His peaceful expression down-turned into one of disappointment when she eventually retreated. Though it was soon replaced by a cocky smirk when he caught sight of the faint, yet beloved blush dusting her complexion.

Mayumi was caught off guard by his sudden affection. After all, she had only intended to brush back the blond curl that un-uniformly stuck out, which was much softer to the touch than expected.

Her blush only deepened when he boldly grabbed her hand, returning it to its previous location before interlocking her fingers with his. "Yer blushing," he marveled while she scowled out of embarrassment. "Like you're one to talk," she quietly huffed and he laughed, the beautiful sound sending vibrations through her palm.

"I'm not," he admitted, "but it's your fault."

"How-"

Before she could finish her question, the setter abruptly turned to the side, planting a light kiss on her palm teasingly, "you're too pretty for me to not."

"Hey wait!" She squeaked in a hushed whisper, " what are you doing? We're in a library."

"So? There's no one here."

His playful grin spoke volumes and his fingers interlaced with hers from behind, letting him use her hand as a resting place for his left cheek.

He studied her bothered form, eyes darkening as he realized just how close they currently were. watched the flush of her skin intensify.

"Ah, this is bad," he mumbled, quiet enough that it was almost missed by the girl before him, "how annoying." His frustrated complaint lingered in the air and he angrily ruffled his hair with his free hand.

He glanced back at the girl, who was silently observing him, expecting him to clarify his words. His breathing grew shallow, merging with her steady rhythm as he leaned closer, his nose just barely touching hers.

"I really want to kiss ya right now."

A/N: Happy Holidays!