07 - Mooncake

Pitter

Pitter. Pater.

"I'm going to become a wet dog," Mayumi whined to herself, pulling her knees closer as she sat one on a wooden bench with her phone resting besides her and placed on speaker mode.

"You're exaggerating, it's barely sprinkling," came the response on the other side of the line along with a resounding laugh. "But really, it's therapeutic."

Soon, the laughter died down and silence flooded in, leaving an awkward tension in the air before the phone sounded again.

"Mayumi, he died. I saw on the news," it echoed, "he died in prison.."

"I know," she smiled bitterly.

"You know that if you need anything, I'm here-"

"I'm fine Kiyoko, really. I just need," Mayumi paused, hesitation clear in her answer, "time."

Time to process; time to accept that the man whom she resented with every fiber of her being, was actually dead. The familiar lump rose in her throat once again and she internally cursed.

"You should enjoy lunch with Yachi, Kiyoko, I'll call you back later." She hurriedly announced, hanging up the call before Kiyoko had time to comprehend the crack in her voice that indicated her unraveling.

Mayumi tucked the phone into her legging pockets, ignoring the string of muted vibrations that rocked against her leg.

It was definitely a selfish thing to do, but she didn't want to discuss the past, especially when no one else saw the things they saw - felt the terror they felt.

It would be disgraceful and above all else, dishonorable.

Some things needed not to be recounted and what happened that particular week was one of them.

The only place it had business being told was in the court, and even they had failed to use it properly.

She chuckled, covering her face with her hand while her body wrecked with laughter that soon turned into sobs. The guy should've been charged with first degree murder right off the bat, not 4 weeks later after he got bailed from jail and went on a second killing spree.

A spree that killed off 2 key eye witnesses, leaving only her, the 3rd alive.

When the media had announced his death that morning, the first thought to cross her mind was how deserving.