CH 2

"So..." Derek walked beside Patrick, close enough to reach out and take his hand. He refrained. "What kind of booth do you have set up?"

The anxiety returned. "It's... it's a, um... a youth group thing... with our church."

Derek blinked. "Church..." He smirked. "Don't churches usually come to these things to protest our abominable lifestyle?"

Patrick frowned. "What?" He shook his head. "No... no, it's a gay Christian church."

"Oh." Derek was confused. "So... you're a Christian?"

Pursing his lips anxiously, Patrick nodded.

"I didn't think gays were allowed to be Christians."

"Some don't think you can be," Patrick murmured. "But it isn't their decision—it's God's."

"And you think God is cool with it?"

"Yes."

Derek chuckled. "I think my boss would like you a lot."

"Is he a gay Christian?"

"Uh... well, he's definitely gay. I don't know if he actually wears the label of Christian, but he believes in God and prays and has faith and all that stuff."

Patrick smiled. "Sounds like a Christian to me."

"Maybe so, then."

Patrick lowered his eyes. "If you want to change your mind, I'll understand."

"Change my mind about what?"

"About going out with me." He looked up. "I mean, you didn't know I was a Christian when you asked me for a date."

A sudden twinge of uncertainty wriggled through Derek's gut. He was looking for fun sex... what was Patrick the Christian looking for?

Gazing into Patrick's warm honey eyes, he didn't have the strength of will to break the date, though it was surely in both their best interests. "I have no issues with Christians... as long as they don't have a problem with me."

Patrick swallowed and smiled small. "I don't have a problem with you."

A quiver rippled through Derek's loins.

Oh, hell...

The two men arrived to find a vacated booth. Patrick frowned. "Brian should be here."

Derek made a quick sweep of the booth, which sported a variety of t-shirts and hats, buttons, stickers, bookmarks, and a bunch of pamphlets and books, Bibles. The wearable merchandise was stamped with Bible verses or inspirational quotes. Derek strolled along the foldout table and fingered the pamphlets, many of which addressed the Gay versus Christianity debate. Derek plucked one of the pamphlets from a neatly stacked pile.

"What's this?" He opened the pamphlet. "What does it mean by Side A and Side B Christians?"

Patrick fidgeted again. "Uh..." He chewed his lower lip, torturing Derek. "Side A Christians affirm their LGBTQ identity as well as... as same gender sex. Side B Christians affirm their LGBTQ identity but refrain from same gender sex." He swallowed and averted his eyes. "They choose to remain celibate."

"Celibate?" Seriously? Why would anyone claim their gayness—and not enjoy it to the fullest? "Like... forever?"

Patrick nodded.

Holy shit.

"So, they're like priests? They don't get married or have sex?"

"They can get married," Patrick murmured. "They aren't against relationships. But if they marry, it's with the understanding that there will be no sex."