𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

Chapter Twenty-Nine

The ride was a blur. The memory played as in image in my mind: greenery, passing signs, a stricken moose on the side—all combined to form a continuous movement of obscurity.

I had probably fallen asleep multiple times during the drive—a drive, that's what Aziel had called it, moments of peace in which I was neither away nor at home, in my own world, one usually disrupted by the man by my side. He'd not appeared in my dreams this time, however. Maybe it was because I didn't need to imagine him. He was right beside me, hands gripping the steering wheel, sleeves pulled back to expose his taut forearms.

"We're entering the city now, Romina," Aziel remarked, nudging my side. I lifted my head and glanced out the window. What I saw took my breath away.

Skyscrapers.

I'd read about them in books, but I'd never seen one before. Tall, spiraling masses of metal and glass stood up before me with imposing grace. I could not imagine how many people were inside each—how many there were on the street alone, how many streets there were in the city. We passed benches and scraggly trees; Mothers and Fathers and children, reminding me of my own. Pain clutched my heart. I recalled the torn expression on Mother's face as she implied that I leave. I recalled how regretful she'd been, I recalled just how much I'd wished my mother could be my mother for once.

We passed under a bridge. Shadows covered us temporarily. I sat up in my seat, surprised.

Aziel laughed lightly. "Remember to breathe every now and then."

I cast a look his way, lips pursed. "I'm not allowed to be jumpy in an unknown place?"

"It's not that," he said, glancing through the rearview mirror as he maneuvered his car down a turn. I was pressed against the side of the car from the force of the turn, "but if you're surprised by this, I'm not sure how you'll handle where we're headed."

"Where are we going?" I asked. We'd left hours ago and driven in silence. Not once had we discussed where we were headed, simply understood that we were going somewhere.

"To a friend. I was going to leave for business come a few months, but I'm here, so I might as well deal with it now."

"Oh." I returned my stare out the window, not wanting to question him further. Business was men's work, after all. I had no place to pry.

"Oh?" Aziel's tone was a little mocking. I peered over to see him cocking a brow. We swerved and pulled up against a building, narrowly sliding between two other cars. I screamed, clutching the sides of my chair for dear life.

"Aziel! Are you insane—?"
He adjusted the gear stick with his large hand, wrenching it into place. I swallowed, eyeing how harshly he was gripping it. Veins popped out of his forearm. His fingers slowly uncurled from the polished stick. I swallowed as they drifted up to my lips, ghosting over the two pink pillows.

"Has anyone ever told you how nice you look in green?"

I gaped, jaw dropping. Pink rushed to my cheeks. Aziel bore a knowing grin.

"I-I—"

"Get out." He opened his door and slid out, leaving me a horribly red mess in my chair. My fingers fumbled with the seatbelt until it finally came loose. I tripped over myself in a scramble to figure out the door handle. Thankfully, Aziel rounded the car and opened it for me, glancing down at the watch on his wrist. "We have twenty-five minutes until the scheduled meeting." He outstretched a hand for me to take. I stared at it blankly, receiving a hard glare from Aziel. "Take it."