NaNoWriMo Day 23

"It's true, I did buy your book," Tipi said to Kathy on the phone. "And a book on dinosaurs, too. All to get in contact with you."

"How have you been? Did you climb your mountain? And with climbing I of course mean it in a metaphorical sense."

"I figured as much. I climbed it in a literal sense and I have found the place where I have kept the secret to enlightenment."

"That's marvellous," Kathy said. From the tone of her voice, she made it clear to Tipi she preferred the conversation would be about her and her book instead.

"I have to get to Antartica," Tipi said.

When it remained silent on the other end of the line Tipi continued. "I have no clue how to go about it and I don't want to insinuate that you could. But I need help."

"I'm a bit at a loss of words and that is saying a lot for a chatter mouth like myself," she giggled. "And I do like the challenge you are posing for yourself. The combination of the extreme wilderness and the bitter cold is one hell of a mountain to conquer."

The woman from the bookstore looked at Tipi with a mix of impatience and disbelief. It was not every day that you had a south pole explorer in your mediocre bookshop.

"Having said that," Kathy continued. "I don't think I can help you in any way."

"Do you have a way of contacting those three weirdos that hooked me up with you?"

She laughed again. "The ones that made you wear these lovely lederhosen?"

"Yes, those three, exactly. Do you know them?"

"I haven't heard from them since, but let me check my mail for the messages they sent me half a year ago. My publisher will get back in touch with you about it. It was nice talking to you, Tipi. I wish you all the best among the penguins and be the best you there is!" After that, she hung up. The woman from the bookstore took the phone back. "And?" she asked.

"Oh, sorry. Thank you very much for letting me use your phone, ma'am."

"No, I mean what did she say?"

"She said, she cannot help me get to Antartica but her publisher will get back to me about a few old friends that might help me out."

"And how will that publisher do that? Does he know where to find you?"

"I suppose he knows I am in this shop."

"I'm also still here," Julian said with a bored voice in the science section of the store.

This had all been a grand mistake. He called with Kathy, who he hoped never to speak to again after the lederhosen affaire. Any form of help could not reach him and he was stuck here with Julian.

"I heard you mentioning Antartica?" said the woman.

"I suppose you have a book on it that just burns from desire to befall into my hands at a very nice price."

"As a matter of fact, I do not have a book on the matter, although there might be a book on the wildlife there in the nature section. What I wanted to say is that my son has been there, as a researcher at McMurdo Station."

"Has he now? Did he like it?"

"He loved it. And it is freezing there. The people are very inhospitable to strangers. You will never get in. They don't do tourism unless you have good reason or a lot of money."

"I think I have both, but you are probably right."

Tipi moved towards the door with the two purchased items in a plastic bag. "Are you coming, Julian? We have to make plans for the night and the journey south."