Chapter 5

For AnnMarieThrush

"Are you awake yet?" I opened my eyes and screamed, falling off the bed. Mitch had been right in front of me. His lips had been inches away from mine. I couldn't believe that he had....I had my fingers covering my mouth. "Are you okay?" He peeked over the side of the bed to look at me. I pulled my knees to my chest. I had been having a very good dream.

"I'm fine."

"Your cheeks are red again." That made me blush even harder.

"Shut up." He was staring at me in confusion. "It means be quiet."

"Why would you want me to do that?" I groaned.

"Can you go upstairs and eat or something?"

"Angels don't eat." He really is innocent with everything to do with humans.

"Never mind. It's gone." I stood up easily. I went to go get dressed. Mitch was staring up at the ceiling while I changed. The look in his eyes....he looked so lost. He didn't belong here. He deserves to go home.

"Are you going to teach me today?" I grabbed his hands to take him upstairs. He wouldn't follow me if I didn't have any hold on him. So I had to pull him off the bed and up the stairs.

"Yeah. Let's go." I sat him down at the kitchen table. I was pouring myself some cereal as I spoke to him. "First, I'm going to teach you personal space. And personal time." I set my bowl down at the table and sat on the chair next to him. I would get milk later. "I can't take care of you every second of every day. I have school and a life. And soon you'll have school too. We probably won't even be in the same classes."

"I do n-" He paused, remembering what I taught him yesterday after we got home from Todrick's. "I don't understand. We are going to be in the same school."

"Yes. But there's more classes that we could be split into. That's why I have to teach you this." I pulled him up to his feet. Then I put myself really close to him. "When you talk to people, don't be like this. Give some space between you and the person who you are talking to." I took a step back to signal how far back he should be.

"But what if I want to touch you?" His hand came forward to touch mine. He paused before he actually touched me.

"I have a normal life. I have someone I want to be with. You can't touch me like we are in a relationship. Understand?" He nodded slowly. He didn't move his hand away from where it was close to mine though. I sighed, holding his hand.

"I feel more comfortable when you are around. You know what I am. I don't like keeping "secrets"." I laughed as he put air quotes around his words. I shouldn't have let him watch tv. He took everything way too seriously. But that is how he got contractions down when talking. Oh, well.

"Mitch....you'll do fine. No one suspects a thing. Not even the government people." I held his shoulders to make sure he was paying attention to me. "You can only talk about this with who? Repeat what I told you yesterday."

"I may only talk to Kirstie, Jeremy, Avi, Kevin, Todrick, Chester...." He said the shape shifter's name with an annoyed tone. He regained himself. "And you." I smiled.

"Good." I went to get milk out of the fridge.

"Are we friends, Scott?" I glanced back at him, letting the fridge close slowly. Mitch gingerly began walking towards me. His hands were clasped behind his back. I nodded with a small smile on my lips.

"Yes. We are." He stood at the respected distance that I showed him. Then he went up on his toes and leaned forward to press his lips against mine. My eyes widened and my hand that was holding the milk let go.