My focus wanders over the nature below me before closing my eyes on cue. Despite my blinded vision, Sensei opens his arm at the view.

"When I was your age, I used to meditate in fields for hours. Why? Because of the trees. They give us breath and tranquility. When I'd shut my eyes, I'd enter the land where spears turn into roses, and now I give that ability to you. You worry about an issue even a baby could overcome, you know that?"

"...A baby?"

"Mm. When you were a baby, you learned to walk. Falling is considered failure, but it's impossible to run without falling first. When we are that young, there's no room for self-doubt or over complexity. You have to emulate that baby's bravery, and I'll tell you why."

He now stands with his arms behind his back.

"Because you have a crippling fear of failure. Your father had it too, now that fruit has been passed. You're scared to leave because you doubt you can fulfill your promise to your family, but self-doubt is a tree with a rotten root. You start doing what you love because you have to, and those become the branches, but how will the fruits turn out if you're always doubtful? How will you serve poisonous fruits at all?"

The trees of the village I had just watched now come into mind and sway gently to the wind of Sensei's words. I see an apple tree... An apple tree that's sour at the core yet produces fruits that are pretty on the outside.

"It would be a disservice continuing your journey in constant doubt. Though it would also be a disservice passing on an opportunity you know you're destined for and dwelling on 'what ifs'... Think about that tree a little longer and when you're ready, open your eyes. Let the fruit give you the answer you're looking for."

The tree I'd crafted in my mind begins to rattle and shake off its leaves the more my brows twitch in thought and debate. Every doubt I've dwelled on versus every accomplishment I've trained to achieve... They come face to face and battle it out with disfigured shrieks through the storm taking place. My teeth clench subtly as the angry rain of doubt pelts all of my tree and the wind blows it aggressively...

Suddenly, a pearly droplet slips from the lowest leaf and projects a singular echoey splash, causing the puddle below to ripple. The small but loud drip silences to storm instantly and it's at that moment where I open my eyes...

"Unfortunately, your father's doubt caused him to grow fruits from a rotten tree, and that passed onto you. I see that same drive in your eyes... But a different fighter. So now I ask... What will you do?"

I look down with teary eyes and stare into my lap whilst gathering my thoughts. My chin then raises as I sternly look over the village's horizon.

"...I'm gonna fight for the tournament."

Sensei tugs a calm grin and nods once. "In that case, may this journey be fruitful for you."

━━━━💮━━━━
— 1 MONTH LATER —

The 5 o'clock sunset casts a heated caramel canvas over us as everyone gathers their luggage and packs them into the coach that's parked outside of the dojo.