I Cᴀɴ Sʜᴏᴡ Yᴏᴜ Tʜᴇ Wᴏʀʟᴅ - Bᴇʟʟᴀᴍʏ x Rᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ

❖ ── ✦ ──『✙』── ✦ ── ❖

"Well, that's just perfect." I grumbled as I tossed aside the calendar.

I rarely kept track of the date. There wasn't much need for event planning in space. There were no seasons, no visible difference in day or night, no cues to remind you of the time passing. As a result, I'd become so wrapped up in work and simply surviving that I'd missed the approach of my birthday. I realised now that it was a week away with an avoidant dread and stomped around my quarters stroppily as I prepared for my shift.

I dressed in my ugly overalls and tied back my hair as was required. Quickly checking my dishevelled appearance in the mirror, I sighed at my reflection. It was challenging not to look scruffy when working as a kitchen assistant, but I still battled against it in anticipation of meeting my neighbour on the way out. With a deep breath, I steeled myself and stepped excitedly into the hall.

Immediately, I was struck with disappointment as I scanned the area and realised that I was alone. I took the risk of knocking on Bellamy's door and waited with baited breath, only to be met with no response. A heavy sigh escaped my lips and felt sympathetic for his situation. I knew that he'd likely been given the shifts that no one else wanted again as an ongoing part of his punishment. Bitter annoyance for the Ark leadership was not unusual for me and as I stormed away, I felt it growing again. I would never admit it, but my hallway chats with Bellamy were always the highlight of my otherwise eventless life and each morning that I didn't see him resulted in a day that felt grey and empty.

❖ ── ✦ ──『✙』── ✦ ── ❖

Several days had passed in a mindless blur and I hadn't seen any indication of Bellamy returning to his quarters at any time. I began to worry that something may have happened to him and tried to make some enquiries about his whereabouts, but there was little concern for residents of the lowest sector of Factory station.

By the time that I finished my shift for the day, I had a pounding stress headache and shuffled home in a world of my own. I was startled by the sound of footsteps as I neared my door and rushed around the corner to clock the familiar large stature and curly black hair that made my heart leap into my throat.

Bellamy was concentrating on struggling with the door to his quarters and I allowed myself a moment to drop my shoulders in relief at the sight of him. He glanced up from his task to notice me with a dazzling smile and right on queue, butterflies began to fill my chest.

"I thought it was about time for you to clock out." He commented as he finished locking the door and I scanned his clothing with confusion. I realised that he was wearing his work uniform, despite the late hour and my stomach dropped. For a moment, I'd hoped that we might be able to hang out, as we often did on our free evenings, but it seemed that I'd caught him on his way out rather than returning home as he usually would be at this time.