Chapter 3

Rise showed Zulu into his home, a cabin about 15 miles north of Kali and 3 miles south of Renchel. 

"Welcome to my humble abode," he invited her in. For a moment she didn't move from where she stood on the small porch, then she walked in and immediately began examining the place. It was a decent size, a bit too big for it's sole resident. 

"Have you had any company recently?" she questioned. 

"You're my first visitor in a long while," he smiled, a shadow of loneliness crossing his face. 

"I see.." She paused in the middle of what she was doing for a moment, staring at him for a long while before continuing. Moving on into the kitchen she continued, "Any hired help?" 

"Nope, do everything for myself," he said proudly, like a child taking care of himself while his parents worked. "We house maids don't have yard work in the woods, though." 

Zulu ignored his last comment and made her way through the rest of the rooms. Other than the living room and kitchen, down the hall were two bedrooms and a guest room, bathroom, study, and an empty room with no clear purpose. All the rooms felt empty really. She was about to open a door she had sensed lead to a basement when Rise stopped her. 

"That place is off limits," he ordered rather than implied. She backed off immediately, her instincts from the past kicking in at the sound of authority in his voice. 

"Fine," she glowered at him. 

"Sorry," he apologized, feeling chilled at the anger in her eyes. She turned away and headed out to get her stuff from her Hover-Cycle. Once she had everything she planned to take in, she went back inside and headed straight for the guest room. 

"I'm going to bed," Zulu told Rise, who had followed her. "Wake me when you need me." 

The next morning, Zulu was up and messing with her plasma pistol when Rise came out of his room. 

"Hey, no guns on the table," he scolded her. In return, she shrugged and started putting it back together. He sighed and shook his head before getting a cup of coffee. "When'd you get up?" 

"Before dawn," she answered him as if that was a completely normal thing. 

"You sound like you're in the military or something," he joked, but she startled him by slamming her fist on the table. 

"I'm going to patrol the perimeter." She got up and returned her plasma pistol to its holster. He watched as she strolled out, wondering if he had somehow offended her. 

"She really is an interesting woman," he mused to himself. He sipped his coffee before setting it down and going to take a quick shower. 

Zulu walked straight out, placing 5, 10, and 15 yard markers only she could recognize. From each marker she made a complete circle, setting up traps that became more complex further out. After this was finished, she proceeded to set up a security system at seemingly random points in the woods. Looking over her work, Zulu smirked, her eyes cold. She was toying with the enemy. 

"It amuses me that you're wearing a tie," Rise chuckled as he and Zulu drove to Renchel in his Jeep. "You're dressed in the casual style of a college student, but why'd you take my leather vest?" 

"I'm just blending in," Zulu informed him, glancing at the rear view mirror. "We're being followed." 

"I know." 

"Should I take 'em out?" 

"No, I still want them to think I haven't noticed." 

"..." 

"What?" Rise glanced at Zulu. 

"I hate to admit this, but you're more intelligent than I thought." Zulu stared straight ahead, her expression unreadable and eyes narrowed. 

"Thanks." He turned his attention back to the road, smiling slightly. 

"You have your own parking spot?" Zulu asked, not really caring but giving thought to it nonetheless. They had just arrived at the University of Medical Studies in Renchel and Rise was pulling in to a parking space reserved for him. 

"I am a professor here," he pointed out. She waved his words away like it would somehow lower his status. 

"Plan on acting like some old teacher?" she retorted. 

"Plan on acting like some teenager?" he shot back. She scowled and got out, slinging a backpack over her shoulder. He got out and went over to look her up and down. She had her hand shoved into her pocket and looked like a deviant. 

"Somehow this style suits you," he admitted, his expression serious. 

"Lead the way," she said after giving him a weird look. He shrugged and headed for the school. Once inside, students started coming up and greeting him. 

"Who's the hottie?" one of the male students asked when he saw Zulu. She kept walking like the question was about someone else. 

"My new assistant," Rise informed him, chuckling at Zulu. 

"And you're a creepy old man," Zulu called over her shoulder. 

"Hey, I'm only a couple years older than you!" Rise scoffed. To his surprise, she glanced back at him for a moment, a flicker of amusement in her eyes. To himself he mumbled, "So she's more human than she lets on." 

"What's your class number?" she asked, now wearing the pair of sunglasses that had been on top of her head. 

"115." He watched her curiously, wondering what she might say or do next. She was pressing her fingers against the side of it, which, unbeknownst to him, allowed her to view a 3D map of the school. 

"Alright, got it." She followed the path before her eyes, occasionally stopping to scan their surroundings. He followed her, feeling a little weird for not showing her the way. 

"Shouldn't I be the head of the train?" he decided to say. 

"Are there any students in there yet?" she asked upon reaching the classroom. 

"Uh, probably most of them, since my first class is about to begin," he replied, sweating a little at the prospect of what she might do. 

"Hello students, I am your new assistant teacher. My name is Zulu Greece, you can call me Zulu. If you have any questions, feel free to talk to your idiot professor," she declared upon walking into the classroom, nonchalant and cold as always. With her last comment, she pointed over her shoulder with her thumb at Rise who came in behind her, looking irritated. 

"You're the idiot," he grumbled, whacking her on the head with his fist. "Class, this is my new assistant. Pay her no heed, since she doesn't know what she's talking about." 

The students laughed at the two of them, not realizing that it was partially an act.