Prologue

Prologue

"Good morning Sandra!"

Cassidy's irksome voice reached my ears, traveling straight to my eardrums, my ear canal, through those three little bones, and finally into my brain, telling me to walk faster or risk having my day ruined.

Too late.

"Hey, flowers for you," she said, falling into step beside me with a bouquet of roses in her hand.

Most people will find this scenario cute, seeing that Cassidy almost never fails to give me flowers every day. I admit, that it is very flattering for someone to devote this kind of effort and resources to me. But imagine waking up to this, every day, for the last year.

"No thank you, Cassidy. Why don't you just eat that and realize that I am not into you?" My utmost irritation fueled that outburst but Cassidy still wore that dumb smile on her face.

"Wow, honeybunch. Never thought you'd be a good actress, but I am all up for that."

"Ugh!" I stomped my heel-clad foot on the concrete ground like some five year-old.

"You are so annoying," I added, surprised that she still manages to irk me after a year of... well, constant annoy-ment?

She smiled and took a glance at her wristwatch. "And you know what?"

"What?!"

"You are so late," then Cassidy grinned. She knew she won the fight this time. Or, again, if I take yesterday's banter into consideration. Or the day before that... and the day before the other day.

I gave her a death glare before I opened the door to my two year-old Kia and got in.

"Drive safe!" I heard her exasperating voice.

After I gave her the finger, I drove off speeding.

Damn it. Now my day is officially ruined.

"You're late." My co-worker and best friend said from her cubicle. Jasmine is a cheerful, black girl that Sandra has known for most of her college life. Four years and several drunken nights later, they are still as close as ever.

"I know Jaz," I slumped down on my chair and turned my computer on.

"Someone thought that they've been nice long enough and decided to cause trouble."

"Cassidy?" Jasmine asked, her eyebrow quirking up in mild amusement. I groaned from hearing her name while I heard Jaz giggle.

"I guess that answers the question."

She's been with me long enough so she knew the difference between my non-Cassidy and Cassidy days.

"I don't get it. What does she see in you?"

"Wow. Thank you, best friend. That comment sure boosts my ego to the nth degree."

I pride myself on my looks, of course. I have a body that's toned and proportioned with curves at all the right places. And although I'm not very beautiful, I'm still more than pretty enough to attract anyone that I want. And I am thankful for my inviting, warm brown eyes. Typically, brown eyes are categorized as boring, but from a young age I learned to appreciate and love everything about myself.

I heard Jaz laugh softly, careful not to attract the attention of our surly boss.

"I didn't mean it like that. I'm just wondering, that's all."

Then I heard the familiar sound of the clicking keyboard. She went back to work. I did the same and focused on the pile of documents on my side. This is going to be another long day.

"Hey, wanna go to Alberto's for lunch?" Jaz invited while peeking over to the divider between us.

"Oh, sure. Let me just finish up here."

After thirty minutes, we were seated on our favorite fast food restaurant, eating food that's bad for your health.

"Sandy," Jaz called me affectionately, "why don't you like Cassidy too?"

Oh we're back to the Cassidy talk. My mood immediately went sour.

"I told you many times before Jaz," I gently placed my triple deck cheeseburger back on my plate.

"But I don't get it. Cassidy's drop dead gorgeous, kind, patient-"

"Sweet, humble..." I continued with a roll of my eyes.

"Yes," she said excitedly, "exactly! Not to mention she's loaded."

"You're forgetting something, Jaz," I said after taking a sip of lemonade.

"What is it?"

"I'm straight."

Jaz and I finished our lunch and went back to the fifth floor of our office building.

But before I could even return to my work, I was interrupted.

"Sandra, the boss wants to see you," Erica, one of my office mates told me.

Oh no, not again?

Jaz giggled and looked up at me. "Good luck, Sandy."

I sighed and nodded at Erica. "Yeah, I'll go. Thanks, Erica."

I fixed my blouse and hair before I went inside the elevator. Why I felt the need to do that, I don't know.

37th floor.

My boss had the whole floor converted into their office. Which I think is just excessive. Imagine having all that space, I would be able to have a personal miniature golf course or something. When the doors opened, I approached Daisy the secretary behind her huge desk and she greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning Sandra. I guess the lady boss wanted to see you again. Just go inside."

"Yeah. Thanks Daisy." I forced a smile on my face.

I walked towards the big double doors and before I pushed it open, I took a long, deep breath. I'm going to need it.

"You wanted to see me ma'am?"

And there, seated behind a sexy, silver desk was Cassidy; our boss.

__________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hello! If you are reading this after the whole rewriting process, good for you because 15-year-old me did not give a fuck about grammar and editing. And if you are one of the people who can't get enough and re-read my story for the nth time already, you will really be surprised at how the story changed -- which I hoped is for the better.

Also, each chapter looked hella awkward without author's notes, so I'll just do what I always do and put random shit in there. Anyways, happy reading!

-Potato