Chapter 3:Curiousity killed the cat

Sneaking back in through my window wasn't the problem, waking up the next morning was. My mind had been racing all night, so sleep was pretty hard to find. I wanted to know who murdered that marine and why. Most importantly, I wanna know how they got him in that room. The door in the front of the building facing the street, was blocked off by some boards nailed in to keep trespassers out. You would have to travel through the enterance I created in the fence, down the alley. Except, nobody knew about that passage, but for me and my friends, it just didn't make any sense.

My thoughts were interrupted by a gurgle in my lower stomach. I sighed and got up from my bed, tottering down stairs to get some breakfast. Mom had already left for work at least two hours ago, which left me in the house by myself. Not that I wasn't use to it by now, growing up I didn't have much contact with my parents. They were always working and I was always home, alone. I pulled a box of fruit loops out of the cabinet and a jug of milk from the fridge. I set the items on the floating bar in the middle of the kitchen and grabbed a newly clean, spoon and bowl from the dishwasher.

"I just don't get it" I mumbled to myself, as I made my breakfast. I sat down and dipped the spoon into the bowl and stirred it a few times clock-wise, before taking a bite. I pondered as I chewed the pieces slowly, thought lines increasing on my forehead.

"It wasn't a robbery" I whispered, looking around the kitchen. "Maybe he was involved with something". I took another bite of my cereal and thought a bit more. " But how did they get into the building?" I questioned again.

I finished my bowl quickly, put the items back where they belonged and jogged up the stairs and back to my bedroom. I opened my laptop, along with chrome, from their I entered google maps into the search bar and typed in the location of our spot. I planted myself on the ground, using the 3D option and clicked the arrows on the screen. I virtually walked around the entire building, looking for any other possible way in. As I had remembered,the doors toward the street were blocked off and the windows on each side were to high to crawl through. Leaving once again, the fence in the alley way. I sat back in my chair and crossed my arms, I narrowed my eyes at the screen trying to imagine any other scenario, but I couldn't.

I closed my laptop and took in a deep breath, the mystery was gonna eat at me unless I checked it out, personally. I stood from my desk, pulled my hair into a ponytail and slipped on my black sweatshirt. I flipped my hoodie up and tucked my blonde hair into it, before heading downstairs. I walked to the front door and found my black and white sneakers sitting on the shoe rack. I slunk my feet down inside them, tying them tightly and heading out the front door. I took the same path I had last night and got off the bus at the corner of 37th street. As soon as I turned down White street, I saw six state cruisers, two black chargers and an M.E van for NCIS. My palms started to sweat, but I pressed on forward, walking down the road and nearing a crowd of people, who had gathered behind the yellow tape to watch the agents work.

The yellow Crime Scene tape, had been tied off in a large square outside of the building. The once blocked doors were now wide open to the public. I passed through the crowd and found a spot close to the alley,which had also been taped off, just my luck. I leaned against a light post and watched as the M.E came out of the vacant building with a not so vacant gurney. My mind flashed back to last night, finding Chris standing over the dead man's corpse and myself feeling my way through his stiff pockets for his ID. I pushed the memories back, when I saw four agents emerge from the building.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and took a few pictures of their faces. Just in case at some point I needed them for reference or something else possibly. I slipped my phone back into my pocket and watched the scene before me unfold.

"McGee, I want a statement from the local shop owners about this building" A man with sliver hair barked. A younger man with a chubby face nodded and headed toward the crowd. "Dinozzo, David I want you to find out how they got into the building without going through the front door" the man ordered, a young woman and nicer looking man.