VALLEY - CHAPTER 10

Chapter 10

Crossing the meadowlands

The four travelers, led by Marlo, left the shelter of the forest. Now they had to hurry as they had quite a while to travel before nightfall. Hopefully, by then they would be at the settlement of Marlo and his father, the great Samtu.

Marlo led the way across the vast dry ‘meadows’. In spring time the ground would have a thin covering of grass, but at this season it was dusty and almost a desert. They started at a canter as they wanted to make up time so they would be assured of a safe arrival before nightfall.

Kodi hung on tightly as he did not want a repeat performance of when he fell from Gardon’s steed and was captured by the enemy. He felt exhilarated, the wind blowing through his hair. He felt excited and apprehensive as he was, once more, going to the unknown. When would this journey ever end? Right now, he was enjoying sitting behind Gardon and riding across the plains, with hardly a care in the world. They rode solidly for about an hour with Marlo standing in his stirrups and looking behind every so often to make sure that only the other two horses were following him and no one else.

Marlo raised his right hand while looking over his left shoulder. This was a signal to stop.

“Is everyone alright?” he enquired.

Gardon answered for them all. “Yes, we do not need to rest as there is no water for the horses anyway. We must make good time and arrive at our destination before nightfall. I will feel better when we arrive at the settlement. It will be good to see Samtu again. There has been much time since we broke bread together, much water has flowed under the bridge. Yes, let us make haste as we have to adhere to lesson number 4 which is to be prepared and always expect the unexpected.”

“Grandfather, lesson number three is also important, isn’t it?” said Kodi, anxious to show his grandfather how much he had learned so far. “Always be cautious when traveling in strange places.”

“Yes, you are right, little one! You learn well,” said Gardon, smiling in recognition of his grandson’s progress.

“Right. Let’s proceed at the same pace for another hour, and then we will rest for a while as there is a small outcrop of rocks for shelter there and we can re-group and discuss progress made,” said Marlo turning his horse and setting off in a full canter.

“Hang on, Kodi, here we go again,” said Gardon.

Kalu hung tightly to Jalu as they rode off once again, trailing Gardon who was following Marlo.

The trio of horses alternately cantered and galloped for an hour at least until, finally, they reached the outcrop of rocks Marlo had described. The horses needed a rest before continuing. It was a shame that there was no water for the horses but they would be replenished later when they arrived at the settlement.

Marlo dismounted with Gardon and Jalu following suit.

Everyone moved to the far side of the rocks, away from any prying eyes that might be following them.

“Good,” said Marlo. “We can never be too careful when crossing this territory as the Misty Mountain marauders are always edging closer to our settlement and are frequently sending out reconnaissance parties. It would be suicide if we happened to run into any of them as I am sure that they intend to wipe out our community as they have done with all the others around here. We must make sure that this does not happen. My people are preparing for the inevitable, and we have not doubt that a full-scale war will happen soon. You will see how we have been preparing. The young boys of Kodi and Kalu’s age are practicing daily with the bow and arrow and we certainly have some excellent archers in that age group. Boys as well as girls.”