17: Struggling

Everything about the real Ark was new to me yet it looked like it was so unnatural for him. His movements were so robotic and his shoulders were so tense. It made me question his whole being. I observed his way of eating which was different before.

When he was still the childish Ark, he would gobble down his food like a hungry wolf and he would end up with ketchup or tomato sauce on his face but now, he would skillfully slice his steak with a knife and slowly put it in his mouth and chew it like a grandma wearing her fake teeth. Maybe it was just me but he looked so uncomfortable doing it this fancy way.

But then I will never forget how he apologized to me for acting like a child when we got home. He detached himself from me and kept his distance ever since we set foot here.

Ark placed his fork and knife together on the plate and took the napkin from his lap and wiped the nonexistent sauce from his lips. I raised a brow at him in question.

"You're done?"

"Um yes, thank you for the food," he replied as he stared longingly at the still big steak on the middle of the table.

He licked his lips and gulped. He looked like he was having an inner debate until he shook his head roughly and straightened his back.

"That's weird...you would usually eat the whole steak," I commented.

Ark let out an awkward laugh. "My apologies for my behavior...I'll try to make amends for it. "

I let out a sigh and picked up the dirty dishes. Fine then, let's see how he lasts. "Do you want to take a bath together?" I asked him.

Ark seemed to be delighted with the idea. I saw how his lips formed to say 'yes' but his eyebrows shot up and his natural smile faded into a fake one.

Well ladies and gentlemen, you now all see that I was not the one with the problem this time.

"I have to decline, thank you for the offer."

I frowned at him. "Okay then, you can watch television while I jump in the shower."

"Do you plan to use a jumping rope?" Cerberus snickered.

"Oh shut up."

Ark shifted in his seat and appeared hesitant. "I-I think I'll just borrow one of your books. We have missed a lot of lessons in school right?"

I shrugged. Sheesh. With that head of yours, you don't need to study. "Suit yourself."

I did a quick shower and wore my black sweatpants. I dried my hair and sat on the edge of my bed. My mind was swirling with confusion.

"I don't like this act that he is putting up." Cerberus mumbled sadly.

"Me either, but it looks to me that he is trying to live up the title as a noble prince."

"Then change it. This is your chance to prove yourself as a caring husband. Now get on with it or I'll slap your ugly face with my dick." He preached.

I threw the towel on the bed and stood up. "Well, here I go and fuck you."

My feet moved in silence as I jogged down the stairs and found Ark biting his fingernails. When he felt my presence, he immediately moved his hand to his back like his mouth was on fire. I sat beside him and he shifted his gaze away from me. My wolf growled at that and I just had to grab both of his wrists and made him look at me.

"You...don't have to pretend around me Alaster," I started and gave him a serious look.

Ark seemed to be shocked. "What do you mean Luka?"