Chapter 20

I quickly ran to Grandma, who was in the living room, and with much excitement, said, "Grandma, Grandma, I just had an idea. Can I go to the airport to surprise Mum on Monday? She wouldn't know, because she had said it'd be early, there's no need to pick her up, and we should be sleeping on a bright Sunday morning... it's perfect! Oh, please, Grandma!"

She smiled at my eagerness and agreed to my proposal. "That is a wonderful idea, Emma. I think as long as you don't mind waking up early, it can be arranged."

By Saturday, all was arranged. I had contacted Andrea and knew of Mum's arrival gate. Grandma would drive us there and I would wait until Mum texted us that she landed (thinking we were still in our beds snoring). Then I would go and meet her when she leaves the plane at the gate, finally with Grandma driving us home. 

The next morning, I was yawning in Grandma's car, having woken up at 5:30 a.m.

I nibbled on my breakfast burrito for what seemed like forever until Grandma received Mum's text.

"They've landed," Grandma turned over and told me.

I slipped quietly and cautiously (just in case) through the crowds to the area she would be departing the plane from.

People were starting to pour out from Mum's parting gate, so I stood against the wall.

When I spotted her, head down looking at her phone, my heart jumped a little. I counted to three, then texted her, "Look up".

I walked further to the centre and saw her head lift slowly and mouth gape open. She ran over, a big smile on her face, and wrapped her arms around me, spinning me around.

"Emma!" she exclaimed delightfully.

"Surprise! I've missed you Mum."

"I missed you too, sweetie," she looked at me, like she was soaking up the fact that I was there. "I'm so happy to see you. Thanks for the surprise, Em... you woke up so early for it." Then I saw some hesitation in her face, as she gave me a look saying Wait, how did you get her?

I chuckled, then reassured her, "Don't worry, Grandma drove me here. Come on, let's not keep her waiting."

-

"Wait, Mum, can I go to the bathroom real quick?" I asked Mum as we were walking in the airport.

"Okay, go on, it'll be quite a long ride home."

When I returned, I saw Mum being mobbed by a crowd of paparazzi. They huddled around her, shoving cameras, microphones in her face.

I heard them question and accuse Mum — "neglecting her daughter and going to New York for two weeks", "where's your daughter" — bombarding her.

Mum stood, in the midst of it all, as shocked as I was. She was in sweats and had no make-up on. I could tell she was taken-aback, too taken-aback to speak, and it made her feel vulnerable.

I sighed. Walking to Mum's side, I felt surprised eyes on me. I squeezed Mum's hand to comfort her.

By then, a lot of people were looking, but I felt the need to speak out. In a calm, firm tone I said nicely, "Don't worry, Mum would never, ever abandon me. I was safe and well taken-care of for the two weeks," I looked at Mum and continued, "I'd appreciate it if you aren't so quick to judge on my mum, or anybody so harshly before you know the whole situation. Thank you, have a nice day." 

Then I tugged on Mum's sleeve, said softly, "Come on," and we left.

A few moments later, Mum seemed to have redeemed her senses. She held my hand tightly and whispered, "Thanks, Emma."