The morning wind blowing against their faces sent a chill down their, or rather only his spine, the orange light of dawn giving way to the start of yet another day filled with the familiar grind.

Get out there, find things and, most importantly, don't die. (Y/N) was accustomed to this daily routine, having spent so long outside and living off of the decrepit land, and the only thing changing with the new group was the fact he didn't have to hide anymore. Even if he still had to sit back every once in a while.

As the pair approaches the crossroads once again, they search it for hidden paths while reminiscing on their meetup. The whole ordeal with the stonecrusher and the vestige, absolutely surreal for everyone involved, and all of the close calls they had that day, especially when...

Oliver: Hey you two.

(Y/N): Oh, where are you coming from?

Ever since the expedition into the pit was announced, Oliver had been missing for some reason. When he suddenly popped up the day after everyone was back home he just said he was helping Coco scavenge.

That was, of course, a massive lie since Coco herself was back a whole day before him. He listened to Yakumo's dumb horror story and strategically retreated from the base before anyone asked him to be down there, like a coward. Unlike a coward though, he did live up to his word and scavenged a great amount of materials and haze by the time he was back. He's been helping her ever since, and has a big rucksack slung on his back.

Oliver: From the trenches. You wouldn't believe how many times I fell from the platforms there.

Luca: Trust me, I do. Any good stuff from there?

Oliver: Let's see...

Rummaging through the sack, he looks hastily at the contents before shrugging.

Oliver: The most unique thing I found was a single sound suppressor. That place is really dry...

(Y/N): That's the dream. Anyhow, I couldn't find any other paths so we gotta move on.

Luca: Right, see you at base Oliver.

Oliver: Until then.

Parting ways, Oliver heads home and the other two go through the tunnel back to the city.

The day passes by, almost in a flash. The two of them combed the entire area, searched every nook and cranny, and still came up empty handed. The only distraction they had of their massive failure was the small talk they had in between searches and fights.

(Y/N): So... canned food, right?

Luca: Can't remember ever having any.

Or at least tried to have. An amnesiac and a socially awkward man don't make good conversationalists, especially when there's no one else keeping the conversation going. But there was one thing they could talk about, as morbid as it was.

Luca: I think Mia's brother is still alive.

(Y/N): That's... extremely random. We saw the ashes so, why and how?

Luca: That vestige, his vestige, showed the hunter taking... no, guiding him somewhere in the mountains.

(Y/N): So you're telling me that the same man who allegedly killed him, was the one who took him somewhere up there. Why?

Luca: We don't know, and the only person who does is in your room.

That was troubling to say the least. (Y/N) wasn't told because they left the pit in a hurry and after that their exploration consumed even more time than before, but the whole situation made no sense. Regardless, the atmosphere was getting a bit too sad for their health so (Y/N) decided to do what he does best. Mock his own situation.