"don't be silly munchkin, we both know I did way worse as a teen, I'm coming!"

"If you insist, I can't wait to see you then!"

"Me too!"

"So, I'm guessing you're already head of pediatric heart surgery by now" she joked.

"No, just a surgical intern but hopefully one day I will be."

"I know you will kiddo, dammit I'm being paged, dang 48-hour shift! I have to get back to work but I will see you this week, I love you so much and I'm so happy you came to your senses." she laughed.

"I love you too Amelia."

"So Amelia is coming to visit this week." Derek and Addison said in unison.

"yeah, I'm excited to see her."

"So any more questions you have?" Derek asked her in an attempt to break the awkward silence.

"oh right, um I'm curious who Meredith Grey is, she's the talk of the whole hospital,"

her parents turned 10 shades of white when she asked what she thought was an innocent question.

"Apparently not," she thought to herself.

"um, well she's Richard's unbiological daughter, she's also your dad's wife"

"what?" She's so young though! How did that happen?"

She could tell by the look on her parent's faces that they didn't want to talk about how that started but she felt she had the right to know.

"Am I overstepping or something?" she asked confused.

"No, it's just, ok well your dad met her at Joe's bar after he left New York and they fell in love pretty quickly, but then well...

"but then your mom came here" Derek interjected, and we tried to work on our marriage but...

"but what?"

"Well up until I cheated on your mom with Meredith," he said looking at the ground.

Jessie was shocked that her dad was married to someone so much younger than him never mind the fact he cheated, she never thought he'd do that even after her mom had an affair, but then again she never thought her mom would cheat either, she knew she obviously didn't know them as well as she thought she did.

After not saying anything for a few minutes, she asked her dad the question nobody knew how to answer.

The question they were hoping she wouldn't ask.

"Did you still love her when you were trying to make it work?"

She knew she sounded like a child with the amount of questions she was asking but she couldn't help it, she didn't want her parents to feel like strangers anymore than they had to.

"Derek was puzzled, he went quiet for about a minute before he answered honestly.

"I don't know, honey."

It had been years since Addison and Derek had tried to make their marriage work, but he still didn't know exactly why he chose her over Meredith at first, was it because he loved his wife? Was it out of obligation? Fear of judgment? he didn't know, that was the truth, he didn't know.

"So were you there for mom for everything even though you guys were divorced?"

"Of course I was."

"Yes, your dad went to every appointment, held my hand for every sonogram, and laid behind me on the bed when I delivered her, just like with you." Addison smiled.

"Yeah your mom did every ultrasound herself, she would have done the same with you if she wasn't just a med student at the time" he laughed.

"I would act surprised but I knew she'd do that if she ever had another kid after me."

"Why don't you tell me how you ended up here now?"

"Um." she took a deep breath. "I told dad about how I ran off to California and everything, but to be honest It's harder to tell you, I've always felt like I needed your approval for everything more than dad, but I owe it to you after all you just told me." The guilt plastered on her face looked like the kind you'd expect a murder to have.

"Honey are you ok? oh my god! did something happen to you after you left?"

"No, No it's not that, I just- I just feel so much regret, I can't stop thinking about the day I graduated med school, it should have been the happiest day of my life but I just felt so empty inside, and thinking about how empty you both had to of felt for all those years... I felt like a monster, I still do, I'm trying to make things right but so much time has been lost, your lives are so different now, are you sure you even want me a part of it?"

"Sweetheart look at me! You're our baby girl! we prayed so hard for so long that somehow someway you'd come back, not having you turned our lives upside down but we never once thought this was your fault, we were selfish, I was the most selfish, we were both neglectful parents because of our own issues, you didn't get to be a teenager because we put you in the middle of our adult problems and that's on us! You're not a monster and you don't need to feel guilty, we're the ones that should be apologizing to you, especially me." Addison said wrapping her arms around her daughter tightly, Derek then did the same on her other side, and just for a second Jessie felt like that happy little girl again before everything fell apart.

                                                             🫀🫀🫀
𝗔/𝗡: 𝗜 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗯𝗮𝗯𝗹𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗗𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗸 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗻'𝘁 𝗺𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝘁 𝗝𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 𝗜 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝗹, 𝗜 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗺 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗿𝘆 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗽𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗶𝗻 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗝𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗲 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗡𝗲𝘄 𝗬𝗼𝗿𝗸 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘂𝗽 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗯𝗹𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗺𝘀𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲𝘀, 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿. 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝗼 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴! 𝗹𝗲𝘁 𝗺𝗲 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸:)