Des smirked. "Why? Do you want a bite?"

Despite herself, Alice felt her cheeks color. "I meant for protection," she said shortly. "As you well know." She swung her backpack over her shoulder with slightly more force than was strictly necessary. "And leave Shorty alone."

Des's smile widened. "You named the book?"

No. Well, not until 0.2 seconds ago, anyways; but she wasn't about to admit that to him now. Alice raised her chin.

"Do you have a problem with that?"

From the dock, Aqzia frowned. "Oh, leave her alone, Desar," she said. "She's not used to you yet." The queen was dressed in black trousers today — an identical pair to the ones that Alice was wearing, courtesy of Bea — and her hair and bronzed skin looked like a splash of blood against the frozen landscape. She smiled at Alice. "I've often found that books are the best traveling companion."

Bea, who was standing next to Aqzia and holding Gus, caught Des's eye and mimed retching with her free hand.

"Alright." There was a soft thud beside Alice, and she turned to see Cirdrissa, grinning at them, her blue hair escaping from its braids. She must have jumped down from the ship's quarterdeck. "We're good to go."

"I can't believe you're going without me," Bea sighed. "I never get to have any fun."

"Oh, come on, Bea." Des rolled his eyes. "We're going on a mission to rid the world of evil. It's not exactly a five-star luxury river cruise."

She pouted. "Still."

"You'll remember what I told you, Cirdrissa?" Aqzia asked, and her hands tapped a nervous rhythm on her trousers. "The Aretian river isn't easy to tame. If you're not careful, the ship could—"

"Yes, yes," Cirdrissa said, rolling her eyes. "Avoid the sharp rocks. Got it." She smiled, a quicksilver flash. "You're as bad as my mother, you know."

"She'll be sad to see you go," Aqzia told her, and Alice was surprised to see Cirdrissa's mouth tighten.

"I wouldn't know," she said shortly. "She was at the shop this morning."

Aqzia's eyes softened. "Cirdrissa—"

"It's fine," Cirdrissa said, giving one of the ropes a sharp tug. "Zeti does what she likes. She always has."

A jolt of recognition went through Alice. She turned to Des, already half-opening her mouth, but he shook his head imperceptibly. Don't. Clearly, Cirdrissa's mother was a touchy subject for her. Still, Alice couldn't help but notice the similarities between Cirdrissa and the prophetess that told her future: the snow-white skin, the freckles, the stocky build.

She stood awkwardly as Des hopped off the boat to ruffle Bea's hair. Cirdrissa was throwing Gus into the air, making cooing sounds as the little boy giggled. Alice was already turning to busy herself with her backpack when Aqzia called her name.

Cautiously, Alice drifted closer to the edge of the boat. Aqzia smiled.

"You don't like the water much," she observed, "do you?"

Alice pursed her lips. "I don't like anything that could kill me, generally."

"Well," Aqzia sighed, "you certainly won't like Desar, then." Her gaze strayed to where Des was tickling Gus, dodging the young boy's wild kicks. "He has a good heart, though. Once you get to know him."

Alice tried her hardest to keep a straight face.

"I'm sure Des can be good company," she said diplomatically, which was not entirely a lie. Des was probably fantastic company when he was asleep.