Chapter 2

My day always seems to feel a lot gloomier when I'm sitting in my car looking at this building. I started working at the Blackwood company around the time my dad had to start getting treatments from the hospital. Everyday I dragged myself to my desk to work until it got dark only to leave and return to the same desk the next day.

"I just feel like I'm walking into some horror movie that focuses on a girl at a dead end job when I go in."

"Why are you still working there anyway, you should come work with me at the coffee shop and.." Amy's voice trailed off as she distractedly pulled herself away from the phone.

Sighing I turned my car fully off, propping my phone up. I put Amy on speaker.

"Bills are starting to get a little too high for me to switch jobs now, plus it's not like the pay is horrible. I just wish I could move up a position or something, you know?"

A few moments passed before a reply came, "Move up a position? What do you even do now, get coffees and run errands?"

"Actually I'll have you know I am taken very seriously as the girl who makes copies of the blueprints for everyone."

"Oh yeah cause that's so much better," Amy chuckles.

She was right though, making copies was only one step above coffee girl and the pay is just as horrible as you would think it would be.

"Well listen, as your best friend who's basically your sister I'm demanding you either ask for a raise or quit that job and come work with me, I promise I'll get you a good job not making copies"

"Fine, I'll try to get a raise first though. If I show up at the shop in 30 minutes its because I got fired and you better have me an iced coffee with cake pop for free waiting."

"You got it."

********************

Setting my bag on my desk I instantly notice the three gossip girls all heading to the bathroom at the same time. Although I hated being a part of drama I had a really hard time at staying out of work gossip. Giving a quick look around I slip after them and into one of the stalls without being seen.

"Are you for real?! Can they even do that at a time like this?"

"I heard he convinced Mr. Blackwood that he was too old and couldn't handle it anymore."

"But he's so young is it even legal, he's almost as old as my son"

What are they talking about? Did something happen to Mr. Blackwood?

"Maybe he'll cut the work slack back since he won't know what he's doing."

"Well he's either starting today or tomorrow so I suppose we'll find out soon"

"Lets head back. By the way, have either of you seen Caitlyn? I need her to run some papers through for me that have to be on Dave's desk in an hour."

Once the clicks of heels faded I exited the stall and stood in front of the mirror. If Mr. blackwood was leaving then I needed to see him to try and get a better position. Maybe he'll just give me something since he's gonna be gone anyway. This is perfect. Exiting the bathroom I make a direct b-line for the main office. Lucky for me the door of his office was open like it usually is when he's in a good mood and willing to talk to employees. Quickening my pace I turn to enter his office when I'm suddenly pushed onto the floor.

"Ow?" My hand has a red strip of carpet burn from catching me from falling completely on my back.

"Omg, I'm like so sorry!" A tall blonde girl in a pink button up helps me to my feet and brushes off my pants. Mascara streaks are running down her face with a strong stream of tears.