When you smile [Oneshot]

Start from the beginning

If anyone else were in Tubbos position they'd probably be offended or talk back. But Tubbo didn't do any of that. He felt as if he were the only person compatible enough with Tommy to understand and put up with him in situations like this. Even if Tommy's behavior towards Tubbo seemed harsh to bystanders, there really was a lot more to it.

It's not like Tubbo was the only person Tommy was often mean to, Tommy put up an attitude with almost everyone they knew. Tubbo knew all this but also realized that there was a big difference between the way Tommy treated him versus others. He'd never seen his blonde best friend be so protective or as observant to anyone else, it was always only with him. Something about that fact made Tubbo happy, being the only person that got to see that side of his stubborn best friend.

Some time had passed since their meetup and Tommy was now in bed, staring at the ceiling while he awaited sleep to take him. It had been a few days since he spoke to Tubbo, not because they were on bad terms or anything of the sort, they were simply just busy with their own duties and self projects.

Tommy turned in bed, forcing himself to get tired as he kept his eyes shut. He had made the mistake of drinking his usual energy drink before bed again, it was just such a habit after committing to some late night streams recently. He could feel all the pent up energy in his body with nowhere to go, finally making him give in to the temptation of looking at his phone before bed - a common habit he had been trying to get rid of for a while now.

Tubbo is Streaming! he received a Twitch notification.

'What the hell is that idiot doing up still?' he thought.

Without much thought he went to his desk and logged into the Dream SMP where he assumed Tubbo was streaming in. As predicted, Tubbo was there. When Tommy got on he was immediately met by Tubbos avatar who was using a rowboat to go down the wooden pathways in the SMP.

'Hi Tommy!', Tubbo typed in chat.

'Tubbo', Tommy responded in chat, 'join team speak.'

Tubbo didn't respond, instead his avatar ran away.

'That's weird,' Tommy thought, 'He never does that, he's normally so eager to talk to me when I get on.. unless..'

Tommy's mind flashed back to the day at the park, the time he had heard Tubbo tell another friend to keep something secret from him - his scraped knee. That was the first time he could recall ever seeing Tubbo genuinely hide something from him.

Tommy thought back to the small moment that happened just now, Tubbo denying a call from his best friend, something so rare within their friendship. Tommy thought that maybe it was another incident like that day, that maybe Tubbo was hiding something.

An obvious realization hit Tommy then, so obvious that it was almost embarrassing, he realized he could just join Tubbo's stream and see for himself. Tommy then opened a new tab on his computer and joined Tubbo's live stream.

That's when he heard it.

Tubbo's voice, it was raspy. Tubbo was sick.

'You absolute moron,' Tommy typed in the Dream SMP chat now, 'Team speak. Now.'

After a moment of conflicting silence with no response, Tubbo joined the call.

"Heyy, big T.. what's up?," Tubbo spoke sheepishly, it was as if he were a child again, nervously waiting to be scolded by someone.

"Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to get sick during summer," Tommy spat before Tubbo tried to explain, "Sorry, Tommy, I just-", Tubbo spoke slightly nervous before being cut off by Tommy again. "I swear, you can't do anything right, what if you get too sick and then I can't come visit you next week? Christ, you're such a fucking..," Tommy was cut off by a sudden cough he heard on the other end.