Chapter 19: My Mother, Margaret (Emma)

Start from the beginning

            "You okay, Mom?" Her eyes flit to mine and she looks...so nervous. It's like she's holding the biggest secret in the world. She looks back down at the table.

            "I have something I need to tell you, Emma." She says, speaking to the table. Her eyes fly up for a second to meet mine, "Eat." I obediently take a bite.

            "What do you need to tell me?"

            She looks back at the table. Her hands are going faster in their twisting. "I-I saw Rufus." She whispers.

            "Of course you saw Rufus. We're all in the same community." I laugh, but I can feel a dark cloud settling over us. Whatever she's holding is going to change everything, I can feel it.

            "I saw him enter Eliza's house." She whispers, finally meeting my eyes. They are filled with so much sincerity. My heart sinks to my stomach joining the ham. "And the night before he went to Janine's. And the night before that Muriel's." I feel tears building up behind my eyes.

            No.

            She has to be lying. Rufus would never do such a terrible thing. Yes, she's lying. She has always disliked me and wanted to hurt me. I never thought she would stoop this low. I feel all the heartbreak being washed away and only anger takes its place.

            "You're lying'," I tell her, getting up from the table. I had only eaten a bite from my sandwich.

            Mom stands up as well, "I'm not. He is staying with those whores." She says, straightening her shoulders back and meeting my eyes. Sure, he had been staying out later than usual, but he's our god, of course, he's busy. He does everything for us. So what? He was probably praying with them and spending time with them because they were lonely.

            "Rufus would never do that!" I yell, slamming my hand down on the table.

            "Ellen Ike also told me he spent the night in her company." She says. My heart joins the ham again. I shake my head.

            "What makes you think he would do something like that?" I hiss, getting extremely pissed.

            "How long have you two been married?" She asks, her gaze so fierce. "How long have you two been sharing a bed? And what do you have to show for it."

            "What's your point?" I grit out, clenching my fist. I know where she's going with this, but she is going to say it aloud. I need her to say it.

            "You aren't pregnant and probably can't." Her words cut through me. Rufus has talked about wanting kids so many times, and I hadn't been able to give him any. I feel the tears burning my eyes. The ham churns in my stomach.

            "Emma," Mom says softly, she makes her way across the table and cups my face. She wipes the tears that are falling. "Let's leave." She says. I feel my heart stop and then it starts to race. I shove her hands away and run.

"Emma!" I hear her calling me, but I don't stop. I rush out the door without putting my shoes on and run through the community back to my house. My home. The place where Rufus and I are happy. Are happy! I make it there and slam the door behind me.

***

Rufus shows up early tonight. I don't have any supper ready, all I've been able to focus on is Mom. Why would she lie so much? And to suggest leaving? What is going on with her?

            "Emma?" I snap my head over to Rufus, who's eating some kind of sandwich for supper. "Everything alright, love?" He asks, moving to put his hand over mine. How could Mom ever think he was bad? He's so kind. He's worried about me and isn't mad that I didn't make supper. He's such a good man...he really is a god.