"It's just..."

"You don't have to be afraid to tell me, child."

I nod - keeping my hands near my abdomen.
"I...I tried to reason with George about  going back to America...just for a little while and he- well, I guess we both didn't take each others responses too well- he just..." my voice falters as I make small motion with my hands - trying to find clarity that wasn't there. "I don't know..."

"Is that why it seems like you're giving him the silent treatment?" Marion asks in a matter of fact tone and I exhale an ocean of silence.

"I just feel so confused...am I being too hard on him?" I ask softly and Marion places a hand ove mine.

"Well, it's ok to be upset," she says, her voice gentle and calming to each sense. "but in my opinion, it is better to mend and keep strong relationships than to build emotional walls."

My brow knits - mind stuck on her last choice words as she takes my hands.

"Now, if you're not ready to forgive his majesty just yet, then that's ok, there's nothing wrong with wanting space or wanting to think things over. Just know, it's better to forgive and forget, dearie."

I dust off the stress, taking a breath.
"I know...and you're right." I say, looking up at the older female.
"My mother used to say the same thing, that grudges were a pointless thing to hold onto, and that one should hold onto the people they love instead."
The open hallway felt lonely, quiet.
"Do you think I should forgive him? Talk to him at least." I say and Marion smiles.

"If you're ready to smooth it over, then yes."

A moment of thought was paused before I glance up with my eyes.
"...could you take me to him?"

Marion smiles, turning and gesturing for me to follow as she walks down the hall.

"If I recall, his majesty should be in the throne room." She mumbles and I catch up to her side.

I look up at her profile, biting my cheek.

"Marion." I speak up after a moment, catching her attention as she looks at me and hums in response.
"Do you think- if I remain persistent about it and stand my ground, that I'll be able to change his mind?" I ask and the female's expression changes for a moment.

"Well...if I'm being honest dearie," she lets her voice trail off and clears her throat softly. "I think it might be best to drop the topic."

I shake my head. "But Marion, I promised him that I'd stay by his side- that I wouldn't try anything...that we'd come right back." I say in an almost pleading tone.

"Yes," she takes a breath, bringing my hand closer and her pace slows.
"but who's to say it's just you he's worried about." She says and I furrow my brow in thought.

"What-"

"Think of it this way- and I don't mean to sound cruel, child, so just hear me out." She says, her hand tightening around mine.
"His majesty does want to fully trust you, and he loves you- trying his best to make you happy just so he can see your smile. And suppose he did take you back, letting you see your old home, your family and your friends."
Marion turns her gaze to the floor, nodding her head as she takes a breath.
"You'd be happy, yes?"

"Yes." I respond, a small smile on my face as I gently squeeze her hand back.

"And you know the king would do anything to make you happy," her tone was gentle, yet held a slight sadness.
"but if he took you back to America- even if it was just a small trip, he'd lose you. And if there's anything George fears more than anything else, it's losing those who he truly cares for; and you, dear child, are one of those people."