Chapter Four: Fear Based Virus?

It didn't take us long to find the little fishing village where the Wossek was located. Claire and I walked in first, slowly, checking to see if there was anyone in here. Someone tried to attack Claire with a knife, but she quickly disarmed them and flipped them onto their back, and we both pointed our guns at them.

"Gabe??" Claire asked.

"Redfield? You're alive?" The man returned. He must be someone from TerraSave. Claire helped him up, then looked behind.

"Hey, it's just Redfield!" He said to another man. The other man laughed.

"You owe me a new pair of underpants!" He said, and I laughed a little. Claire called Moira in then.

"Hey, the newbie's okay too!" He said. I laughed a bit. Claire walked over to me then.

"Guys, this is a close friend of mine, Carter Kennedy. Carter, this is Gabe, and over there is Pedro." She said. I smiled and waved.

"Hey! It's nice to meet you all, though I wish it were under better circumstances!" I said. Gabe laughed and shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you too! Isn't your husband in an anti-bioterrorism thing too?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, Leon Kennedy. We're both apart of the DSO with the government. Claire invited me to the party TerraSave was having, and I can never say no to her. So, here I am!" I said, and they all laughed.

"Man, you guys got me good!" Pedro said, before bumping into the old jukebox and turning it on, causing him to jump when it began playing. "Uh...any requests?" He asked. We all laughed a little, as the lights turned on. Once we barred the door, Gabe leaned up against it.

"We woke up in the middle of the woods. How bout you?" He asked.

"Some kind of prison. Gabe...Gina's dead." Claire said. All I could do was shake my head. He sighed.

"Shit. Thompson's gone too." Gabe said.

"But luckily I remembered to grab his bracelet. Eddie would have wanted me to find out how it ticks." Pedro said.

"You chopped off his hand?!" Moira asked in shock. 

"Sometimes you have to make the hard choice." Claire said, and I nodded.

"Ain't that the truth." I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. Now that the adrenaline was starting to die down, I was tired! Claire nodded. 

"C'mon, let's see what's in this building." She said. I sighed and sat down.

"You guys look around. I feel really tired, so I'm gonna sit and rest for a minute." I said. Claire nodded.

"Alright." She said, and she and Moira began looking around for anything useful. Once they came back down to the second floor, the bracelets let off a high pitched squeal again.

"Ah, geez, here we go again..." I muttered.

"Welcome to the brink of true fear." The woman said. I frowned a little. I swore that I knew this woman! Her voice pulled at a very old memory that I just couldn't seem to pull from my mind!

"The Overseer. What do you want?" Claire asked.

"This is getting real old, lady!" I growled. 

"I need to throw you at the wall and see who sticks. And who doesn't. The wall, in this case, is a special virus that I injected into each of you." She said, and my jaw dropped.

"A wha...what?!" Gabe growled. 

"We will all die. There's no question of that. But one of you still has a chance of dying well." She said. 

"I'm no lab rat. She can stick it right up her all-seeing ass!" Gabe said. I looked at my bracelet. It was still green, while everyone else's was orange.

"Claire, these bracelets must track how the virus reacts. It's why mine hasn't hasn't changed." I said.

"Oh that's right! You can't be infected by viruses, can you?" Claire said. I nodded.

"Yeah, the T-Virus won't allow viruses into my body. So I most likely wasn't infected." I said.

"But if we've been infected with something..." Claire started.

"That bitch stuck a needle in me?!" Moira asked.

Just put it out of your head." Gabe said, then opened the doors. "Hey, Redfield, come walk with me." He said. Claire looked back at me, and I made a shooing motion with my hands.

"Go on, shoo. I'm gonna check the village, see if I can find anything useful around here." I said. Claire nodded, then she and Moira followed Gabe out. I walked out of the Wossek and began doing some investigating around the village. I mostly found ammunition and herbs, but those could all be used. However, I was interrupted by an alarm blaring from the Wossek!! "No!!" I cried, and ran back as fast as I could, meeting Claire and Moira there. "What's happened?!" I asked.

"The Overseer!! She set the alarms off!" Claire said. I growled.

"Shit!!" I yelled, as I began to fire at the infected who were now crowding the windows. Claire got the alarms turned off, but it was too late. She and I began trying to hold off the infected. 

"Holy crap! We're gonna die! What are we gonna do?!" Pedro screamed.

"First off: Chill the hell out!" Moira said.

"Second: Fight back!" I added, however, Pedro didn't calm down. I was afraid of what he virus was going to do to him if he didn't. "Pedro, you need to calm down. We will make it out of this!" I said, but he wasn't listening. Once everything calmed down, he moved towards the door.

"Is that it? Is it over?" He asked.

"PEDRO, GET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!!!" I screamed, but it was too late. He was grabbed by the infected! We got him away, and he moved to the bar, while we continued to fight back. Then, from the bracelets, we heard:

"Fear triggers the virus." My eyes widened, and I looked back at Pedro.

"PEDRO!!" I yelled. Claire ran over to him.

"Pedro?" She asked, but he grabbed ahold of her shoulders!

"See how his bracelet changes to the color of fear?" The Overseer asked, and I could see that his bracelet was flashing red. I watched in horror as Pedro began to mutate, now choking Claire!

"Claire, I've got you!!" Moira called, and rammed Pedro with her shoulder, making him let go of Claire. 

"It means he's not the one." The Overseer said. I looked at him in horror. Pedro was now mutated. Whatever this virus was, I'd never seen anything like it. "My escape is death. But not this one." She said. Pedro continually attacked us, but thankfully, he had rammed the door down, allowing us an out. We ran around the village, trying to escape him, but then we heard a voice:

"Claire, Moira, Carter! This way!" It was Neil! He'd given us an out!