Chapter 1: First day, full of chaos!

Edited

Puff! Puff! I gasp for air again. All this running is making me tired as hell, and my limbs are ready to collapse at any time. 

I turn back and calculate the distance I'm away from them. Those gangsters look like they are going to catch up with me any time soon. 

Forsooth, yeah, I am running away from a group of gangsters. They are trying to terminate me because I saw their boss assassinating a person. 

I run faster and faster until I come upon a dead end. There's a wall in front of me, I should either climb the wall like the cat woman or die in that stinky place. Since I can't do the first, I start shaking from head to toe. 

'Why am I so miserable? Not even a single person will know that I died here. My parents will be searching for me all my life while they don't even know if I am alive or not. Maybe if I beg them, they might send my body to my parents. But what will happen to ma when she sees me like this? How can pa lift his head in the streets when he can't even save his own daughter? I desperately want to have last words with them.' 

I want to say to my ma, "Ma, don't worry, I'll be in a safe place. Take good care of pa. Try to spend most of your time with Freddy. Don't forget to take him to monthly check-ups." 

I wish to say to my pa, " Pa, take good care of mum, take Freddy to a walk everyday, eat on time daily. It's not your fault that I'm dying." 

And how will Freddy even live knowing that I wasn't alive? I should have signed that organ donation form. At least Freddy would think I was living in some other person's body. Humane, much?

I start crying unbeknowst to me, tears rolling freely down my cheeks, thinking of how my life is affected suddenly in such a small period of time.  

I jerk my head to right as I hear something....what's it? Yay, that's the sound of a police siren. 

Wow, so I don't need to lose my hope. 

But suddenly that siren changed to Waka Waka song by Shakira.

What the hell? Wait, so am I gonna die in this hell-hole? 

The sound keeps on increasing and kicks off to an intensity that I can't bear it any more.

 I yell, "STOP IT!!!" 

And then, my mom shouts, from God-knows-where, " Why are you shouting at poor Freddy? He was just trying to wake you up."

"Oh, really?", I reply. 

Wait, WHAT?! So, is this all another dream? Huff! I almost got a cardiac arrest from the tension.

I wake up and switch off my alarm (yeah, that Waka Waka song was from my oh-so-good-alarm), tidy my bed, have a bath and go downstairs to have breakfast. 

All the while, Freddy is looking at me like, 'What has gotten into my master? Why was she acting like I was killing her? Doesn't she like me anymore?' 

Poor Freddy, it developed my low self confidence and shyness, not a healthy habit. All it knows is protecting his master when they are outside, but deep down, he is like the outside me. 

I go to him and smile, "Hey Freddy, cheer up! I was just having a bad dream, sorry." 

It licks me after hearing me, wagging his tail. I ruffle his forehead.

Freddy is a rottweiler( a breed of dogs), and he is named after my favorite character in Harry Potter, Fred Weasely. Maybe I like Fred more because he died, but George too did lose a ear, didn't he? Anyways, I go to the dining table and open my plate.

My mom puts a dosa(an Indian breakfast) before me, and says, "Are you still having those dreams?" 

I reply, "No ma, it was just a dream about me failing math." 

"Okay, tell me if you have them again. Maybe you can visit a professional", she says while nodding.

I nod my head impulsively. If I tell her about these, she will worry more. I once tried talking to her about it, but couldn't get it all out completely. Already my grandma was suffering from bone cancer and my mom has to take care of her. I didn't want to add onto her list of worries. 

My mom was a pediatrician, she left her job to take care of grandma. My father works at a software company, always staying up late in the office due to heavy work load. I don't have any siblings. And I don't think I'd want one too, they come with a lot of mischief and rules.

Me, Freddy, my ma and my pa are living in a two-storeyed building, at a calm place, which I absolutely love. Mostly I and Freddy stay alone at home when pa stays over at office and ma stays at grandma's place. I am adapted to these situations by now.

After completing the breakfast, I take my bag, my specs and a water bottle and hurry out of the house giving my ma and Freddy a hug. I am going to be late to college on first day if I don't hurry. 

On my way, I see an old woman arguing with an old man. I usually am not like this, but I snoop into their conversation.

I don't know how the confidence overpowers my shyness, but I ask, "Why are you two arguing?" 

The old woman replies, " I want to marry again but this old fella won't let me." 

With a sudden over surge of assertiveness, I say," Why shouldn't she remarry, old uncle? Even though her husband has died, she shouldn't be tied to the society's rules like this. She has the ability to decide her own fate. Do you think that women should refrain themselves to kitchens even now? This is twenty-first century, please grow up old uncle!" 

 The old man begins gazing at me like I am crazy. He is too baffled to even let a word out of his mouth. All the while, he opens his mouth to say something but closes it again as if contemplating. 

Meanwhile, the old woman looks at me with a mixture of slyness and amusement as she winks at me.

 And I comprehend why when a voice says right next to my ear, "Which rule in twenty-first century allows a woman, who is having a happy marriage, to wed another man?"

 A/N: HOLA PEEPS! IT'S ME AGAIN, YOUR GODDESSOFLAZINESS! HOW ARE YA ALL DOIN'? DO YOU ALSO HAVE ANY AWKWARD ENCOUNTERS LIKE OUR FEMALE LEAD? IF YES, LEMME KNOW IN THE COMMENT SECTION. HOW'S THE OPENING? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, SHARE AND FOLLOW!