07. . .not a garden, a coffin

CHAPTER SEVENNOT A GARDEN, A COFFIN

CHAPTER SEVEN
NOT A GARDEN, A COFFIN

   IT WAS THAT DREADFUL time of year when kids finally went home for the holidays. But Wren Stonem knew she really wasn't going home. She didn't exactly have a home because Hogwarts sure wasn't one, and her house no longer felt comforting, it only felt dreary and cold. Severine had offered for Wren to stay over at her house, but the brunette had politely declined, not wanting to put the kind girl in any danger. After all, Wren's mom was a Death Eater and Sev was well a. . .muggle born. Yeah, not a good idea.

    A small part of Wren that had been clinging on since her once warm childhood had been hoping that her mother had come to get her at the train platform like all of the other parents, but she knew it was completely and utterly stupid. Her mother wasn't going to come and get her, it simply wasn't going to happen. Wren was a tiny little speck in Meera Stonem's life. A leaf in a painting of the forest. A nobody in a sea of somebody's and that's how it would forever remain. She wondered if her mother would even give an eulogy at her funeral. She doubted it. "Whatever," Wren sighed as she grabbed her duffel bag and started her trek towards her home that seemed so far and distant in not only miles, but in her slightly cracked heart that was still trying to heal.

    The brunette was glad she could finally use magic outside of school, otherwise she was sure she would have froze in the bitter cold. The Stonem girl wondered if this is what it felt like to live alone in old age. A bitter cold against sinking skin, with a cloudy sky and no sense of home. She figured she'd have to get used to this feeling then, because she wasn't one to give up her heart so easily. Yes, Wren loved, that was basically her only redeeming quality, but she never gave up her heart. Her heart was locked up in a cage as fragile as the blanket on top of water, but as tough as ivory and steel. Love was her weakness, and her strength. But loving Wren Stonem? Now, that was loving a dead thing. Something that would only end in an empty feeling and grief. The brunette was scared of loving her, and maybe that's why she'd never really hate her mother for not loving her because maybe that was just Meera Stonem protecting herself.

   But, whenever Wren thought of these things her thoughts would always travel to Regulus Black. It felt good to feel someone care for her in a different way other then friendship, but that's all it was, though, wasn't it? Friendship. Wren didn't think she'd ever know, and she didn't think she'd like to find out either. The brunette loved loving people with all her soul, and hated the idea of people loving her. It only ever ends in pain, she knew that.

After a bit of time of thoughts that killed her mind, and the warming charm wearing off, Wren finally made it to the steps of the place she loathed more then her own blood. It was as if this building, this large but such a tiny work of structure (a carcass in a neighborhood) lived in its own broken world. As if it lived in its own dimension galaxies away, and Wren would never fit in that galaxy. She used to fit, but then a puzzle piece broke off and nothing was complete anymore. "Home sweet home," the brunette whispered bitterly, before tapping her thin but powerful wand towards the lock on her front door and hearing the unsatisfying click. Time had finally caught up with her it seemed.