6

6 || Sentiments

"My esteemed guests," Cheryl called, stopping the music momentarily. I turned away from Sweet Pea gawking at Reggie doing a keg stand to look at Cheryl. "May I have your attention please? Students of Riverdale, we have a new enemy in our midst. This killjoy is our new principal, Mr. Honey."

The group of students booed at the name, making me roll my eyes. Honey wasn't that bad, he just wanted the students to focus on academics, rather than various extracurriculars and events that revolved around the pettiness of the high school "political system." I appreciated it, being able to focus on classes rather than what Cheryl was plotting, or what new cult was coming to town.

"However," Cheryl spoke, silencing the rowdy crowd. "Never fear. I, as your student body president, will make sure that he is beheaded by Homecoming, or my name isn't Cheryl Marjorie Blossom."

The crowd cheered, and I rolled my eyes again. Sweet Pea laughed at my eye-roll and wrapped an arm around me. He chugged the rest of the contents of his red solo cup and pulled me toward another keg.

"Want a drink, baby?" Sweet Pea asked, filling his cup up.

"No, thanks." I shook my head. "Someone needs to drive us home."

"I can sober up and take us home." Sweet Pea grinned. "You look too good not to be having a good time."

"I'm having a great time, Sweets." I giggled, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. "I promise."

"Good." He leaned down and kissed me, the taste of beer on his lips almost made me want to get a drink of my own. He hummed as he pulled away, smiling goofily at me. "You taste like cherries."

"Yo!" Reggie sounded from behind me, slurring slightly. I turned to look at him, ready to grab him in case he did something stupid. "Who invited you, new guy?"

"Dude, Reggie, lay off." Archie tried to diffuse Reggie. I shook my head and approached the trio, Sweet Pea following closely behind me.

"Cheryl," Reggie stopped Cheryl, pointing at Munroe. "You know this guy?"

"No, but I certainly don't object to him being here, which is more than I can say for you." Cheryl huffed, glaring at Reggie.

"Woah, what's going on here?" I questioned, the tension between Reggie and everyone else palpable.

"So what you're saying is..." Reggie trailed off, ignoring me completely. "Mad Dog here crashed."

Before Munroe could retaliate, tires screeching and a siren wailing interrupted them.

"Wonderful." Cheryl bit. "And now the po-po has arrived."

"Party's over." Dad announced, stepping into the party. "Everybody go home. Go home. Move."

I let my shoulders relax slightly, watching my father approach Reggie, Archie, Sweets and I. If anything happened between these guys, he could stop it better than I could. After all, I was in a leather skirt.

"Jughead, boy, you better not be drinking whatever's in that cup." Dad warned, pointing over at my twin. Jughead blankly dumped the contents of the cup out onto the ground, watching our father with a slight glare.

"Sheriff Jones." Reggie slurred. "Someone get this man a beer."

"You want to see the inside of the drunk tank tonight, Mantle?" Dad questioned.

"I'll take him home, Mr. Jones." Archie decided.

"Wait." I snapped, grabbing Reggie by his shoulders. I pulled him down slightly so that I could look him in his unfocused eyes. "You better text me when you get home, Mantle. And my door's always open if you want to stop by."