10: Part of Your World

*A/N: Why yes, as a matter of fact I DID use the lyrics for Christina Perri's "One Thousand Years" in this chapter! It does seem oddly fitting for the Little Mermaid narrative, don't you think? -KM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Storybrooke

Grimsby led them back toward the front of the theater and out the front door. As he predicted, they found Hilary huddled by the entrance, still sobbing miserably.

"Hilary!" Henry sat down by her side and grasped her hand to comfort her. "You have to go back there!"

"I can't do it!" Hilary whimpered, "It's too much! There's no way Mr. Royal will like me! There's no way we can get the money to stay! Who am I kidding? I'm not famous, I'm just a failure!"

"Yes there is," Henry persisted. "You can do it, and you will! Don't give up now! You've got to keep hope!"

Hilary finally raised her head. She looked at Henry, and then her eyes moved to Emma—and the person standing behind her. She blinked in surprise as Sebastian himself moved forward and bent down to speak with her.

"I...I know how you feel," he admitted. "I know what nerves will do under pressure. I've been through it, myself—but that doesn't mean I should treat others the same way." His expression was genuinely humble as he told her, "I am sorry for being so short with you, and for writing you off. Everyone deserves a chance to be great if they have what it takes," He looked straight into Hilary's eyes, "and from what I've heard from your friends here, I think you do. Miss Anderson," he was formal again, but by no means stiff, "Please return to the sound booth and let us hear you sing." He offered his hand to help her up.

Hilary stood and wiped her eyes. "I'm ready," she said as she gathered her courage.

In the sound booth, the old doubts began to creep back in. This time, though, Hilary knew that the people watching her were there to support her, not judge her.

"Take your time," Grimsby encouraged.

Hilary took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and felt the sense of longing—and of belonging—welling up inside her. Suddenly she knew exactly what to sing.

"Heart beats fast

Colors and promises

How to be brave

How can I love when I'm afraid

To fall

But watching you stand alone

All of my doubt

Suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer...."

Emma watched the sheer peace and joy radiate from Hilary's features as she sang. The voice coming over the microphone was truly angelic. There was no way anyone who heard it could remain unaffected.

Her quick ears caught a footfall behind her. Emma turned around to see a tall man with dark hair stepping quietly into the mixing booth. He took one look at Hilary and stood, transfixed by her voice.

"I have died everyday

waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid

I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more..."

Grimsby turned around and noticed the newcomer.