7: The Girl Who Has Everything

In the Great Hall the next morning, Ariel was enjoying herself. She had been a human for two days, but already she getting the hang of eating, sleeping, walking, and behaving just like a human would. Eric still called her the wrong name, but at least now it was Ariella, not Arariella. Perhaps the next day she would tell Eric her real name.

She allowed herself a small quiver of excitement.

He had promised to take her to the Lake today. It would be her first time near the water since becoming human. For now they stood formally dressed side by side as an emissary from some nearby kingdom arrived: Melinda, princess of Crossway.

Ariel watched the magnificent princess stride in, accepting the honor like it was only way to be treated. Her long golden hair and deep blue eyes were so quintessential that Ariel smirked to think of how she and Eric would make fun at her in private. Then she noticed Eric's face.

The prince was totally relaxed, almost mesmerized by the sight of her. Ariel observed that he watched the princess so closely that she could practically see the sunlight reflecting off her many jewels glittering in his eyes.

She bowed to him and offered her hand.

"Your Majesty."

Just two words, but they struck a death-knell in Ariel's soul. She felt the music of their tones like a knife through her heart.

Princess Melinda spoke again, "It is an honor to be received so graciously in this kingdom."

Every syllable served as a reminder to Ariel of what she lost. She gave Eric's hand a comforting—albeit desperate—little squeeze.

He blinked. "Oh, your Highness, let me present a dear friend of mine, Lady Ariella."

Princess Melinda smiled benignly at Ariel, and grasped her shoulders. Ariel felt the adoration emanating from her smile and a warmth from her soft hands.

"How wonderful to meet you!" trilled the magnificent princess.

Moving in a trance, Eric dropped Ariel's hand and immediately offered Melinda his arm. Ariel watched the royals depart and noticed that Queen Regina holding King Theodore's arm in much the same way. She followed them, walking alone, till a soft touch on her arm caused her to pause.

Giles, Eric's valet, stood behind her. His face was lined with concern. He said not a word, but offered his hand. Ariel accepted by placing her hand in his. He brought it under his close arm, assuming the post of escort for her. As they walked, Ariel realized that his eyes were a deep, warm brown.

"It is a poor Prince who does not take his leave of a lady, even for one of higher rank," Giles remarked, "Particularly if he owes one such lady a life debt."

Ariel blushed at his care. Nothing in decorum required the serving-man to take notice of Ariel beyond the interests of his master, and yet here he was, following the prince's example of rescuing this girl's dignity-albeit covering for the prince's own neglect.

"He is lucky to have a man like you to serve him," she murmured.

The young man with the dusty-brown hair bobbed his head modestly. "My father served his father. We practically grew up together." Giles brought her out to the courtyard, just in time to watch Eric, Melinda, Regina, and Theodore ride out from the stables. All Ariel could think about was the fact that she had a hard enough time on her own two legs; she didn't think she could manage riding an animal with four.

Giles turned, and by his expression, Ariel knew he saw how pale she was. Suddenly, he leaned close and said quickly, "Forgive me, Lady Ariella, but I must warn you. A strong suspicion has grown in my heart ever since I first saw the princess. Watch her carefully, for all may not be as it seems." He took his leave with a bow.