I pursed my lips, subtly sliding my hand off the table before he could get a good look at Xavion's symbol.

"He makes sketchy deals with people?" Renee scoffed, "Sounds like a drug lord to me."

John's finger pointed to me, "Did you make a deal with the 'drug lord'?" He said the word 'drug lord' as though it was a code. It was obvious that he somehow knew of Xavion's true nature.

"Nooo..." I lied, sounding slightly guilty.

John stood up, narrowing his eyes in suspicion. He didn't believe my lie. He focused on his daughter. "Renee, I recommend that you let go of this man. He's trying to trick you." He urged. "It's what they do-- it's probably a demon in disguise."

"I saw him fall from the sky." Renee objected, crossing her arms.

John shook his head. "Or did you imagine it?"

"Where has your faith gone?" Renee growled, looking angry. I felt her soul darken as rage surged through her.

I frowned and softly rested a hand on her, "Hey, calm down." I recommended. Renee's soul was purer than most humans, which I was sure she worked hard for. It was unwise to taint it over something as useless as an argument.

She ripped away. "How would the church feel if they knew that their own priest didn't even believe in angels?"

"I believe. I believe more than most could ever." John narrowed his eyes. "But I'm not going to be naive either. Why would an angel be on Earth?"

"Technically, Ishmael is a fallen angel." Grant corrected, eating a bite of the food. "And I think the deal thing with Xavion was an accident."

Xavion shrugged, "Deals shmeals, this night is really dragging on, huh?" He stood up, gathering his plate. "I think it's about time Ishy-poo, Grant, and I bounced."

Renee quickly stood, Grant and I were now the only ones sitting. "Wait-- you can't leave yet." She looked at her father sincerely. "Dad, you have to believe me. Ishmael is an angel-- a real angel. And it's our duty to help him." John didn't look convinced, so Renee turned to me with a pleading look. "Ishy, can you please show him your back."

I frowned, crossing my arms self-consciously. Everyone wanted a peek at the wingless angel. I stood up and awkwardly turned around, exposing my back to the table.

"Ew. Gross." Xavion gagged. "Looks like someone jizzed in the Grand Canyon."

John made a gasping noise, "What happened?"

Renee crossed her arms, which I caught out of the corner of my eye. She looked confident now, "His wings were removed. Trust me, dad. He's an angel."

"Fallen angel," Grant grunted from the end of the table. "Also, Ishmael, you can lower your shirt if you want now."

I hadn't even noticed that I was still exposing myself. I quickly dropped my shirt and faced everyone again. Xavion looked disgusted while John was peering at me with amazement. Grant looked bored, if anything, as he took another bite of the food in front of him.

"This is really real." John breathed. He blinked, before quickly bending at the waist. His forehead nearly hit the table.

"Uh, oh, er..." I awkwardly looked at Grant. "What is he doing?"

Grant shrugged. "It's called a bow. I think it's a respect thing, especially for royalty and shit."

"Oh, well, I'm not royalty." I pointed out, looking at John with confusion. "You don't need to be doing bow anymore."