Chapter 8

I feel so on edge. I miss Nik and it's only been a few hours. I head into the woods knowing I won't see him yet somehow I feel closer to him by being in those woods. I'm sure to take my bow now that I know lone wolves are more common than I thought.

As soon as I step out of the clearing and into the woods I run into something hard. I look up to see I'm currently face to face with Nik. Well, face to chest. He grins and his teeth shine against his tanned skin.

"Miss me already?" He teases with an ear splitting grin. I blush hard.

"Y-yes." I breathe out. He crushes me into a hug.

"I missed you too. More than you know."

"My parents took my grandparents into the city for dinner. Would you like to come in?" He ponders on my offer and agrees. We walk hand in hand to the cabin.

"Are you hungry?" I ask.

"Starving. I haven't had a chance to eat. It's been a...busy day."

Nik sets the table while I pour the potato soup I made earlier into the bowls. After we eat we end up in the living room on the couch. He wraps me in his arms and I snuggle closer.

"Ellie, we need to talk about something very important." He whispers as he strokes my hair. I raise up to meet his eyes.

"I'm listening."

"Well, uh, there's a lot you need to know about well, a lot..." I laugh as he fumbles.

"I want to know everything. Don't be afraid. I want you to be honest with me."

He stares into my eyes for a moment and I forget how to breathe. This time I'm the one to initiate the kiss. I lean in slowly and he stares at me intensely. His lips part, inviting me in. His eyes flicker from my lips to my eyes as his breathing picks up.

I kiss him softly and he sighs into the kiss. When my hands find his hair he pulls me onto his lap and grabs my hips, pulling me closer. He groans against my lips and I am focused on nothing but the way his lips taste against mine.

"Elliana, I lo-." I cut him off by pressing a finger to his lips.

"It's my turn to talk." He chuckles and I begin to blurt our my feeling before I lose courage.

"Nik, I missed you so much. I just needed to come home for closure and what I found was better. I still can't believe you're here, that you're real. That you want me. I love you. I've always loved you. I always will."

He stares at me dumbfounded by my admission.

"Say it again." He whispers and pulls me close again.

"I love you, Nik."

"I love you too Elliana Rose mayfield. And I always will." He places a chaste kiss on my lips and smiles at me. My heart goes haywire and he laughs gently. I know he must hear it.

"There's so much I need you to know. I am afraid when I tell you that you will change your mind."

"Impossible." I tell him and he looks at me with such love that I could melt. I'm sitting on his lap facing him   When I go to move he presses his hands onto my hips.

"First you should know that I am the alpha, or leader, of my pack. There's me, Rhiannon, her mate Koda and her brother Rylin. My parents, her parents, Lee and Kodas father make up our council. The council are all shifters as well except Lee. They appoint a human elder every five years. My father was the alpha before I took his place therefore he is the Chief of the tribe and head of the council. If you decide to mate with me we will become the leaders of the pack and tribe. We are all also supposed to take over their seats on the council."