11

Draco

__

Bree had fallen back asleep after she'd patched me up. "Do you think she'll be fine? I hate leaving her here," I whispered to my mother as we watched her from the doorframe. "With him.

"I'll charm the door," my mother said with a nod. "But I need you to come into Diagon Alley with me, Draco. I need to pick up more shirts for you, and you grow like a Whomping Willow when you're away. I just don't know what they feed you there."

"Pumpkin juice," I offered, and she cracked a smile. 

"You're growing up beautifully, my son." She lowered her wand to the doorknob and we watched as it glowed red and clicked into place. "There. That should take care of her until we're back, and then I'll send you off both to the platform, yes?"

I nodded and leaned down to kiss Bree's forehead. "See you in a bit, Barnes." She stirred under my movement, but didn't wake.

"Be safe, child," my mother whispered, when she thought I couldn't hear.

We raised our wands to Apparate, and before I knew it, we were wrapped in the familiar aroma and bustle of Diagon Alley. My mother waved to a few shopkeepers I recognized but couldn't name, and squeezed my hand in excitement. "Why don't you go choose something for Bree?" she nudged me towards one of the corner jewelry stores. "I'm sure you could find something in there."

"I don't know," I stammered. "I haven't seen her wear anything like that."

My mother looked at me exasperatedly. "All the more reason to get her something, then."

Minutes later, I was perusing over emeralds and diamonds as my mother swept around the store, orchestrating the pulling and showing of every box the shopkeeper had. My eyes were searching as the assisting elves held up glittering thing after glittering thing, looking for the one thing that would capture the sparkling presence Bree had in my life. Nothing seemed to do her justice. I'd never admit it to anyone, but I thought no diamond would ever shine as bright as her smile, no ruby was as deep as her beauty, no sapphire could match her brilliance, and no emerald could capture her richness. Nothing ever had, could, or would compare to the hurricane known as Bree Barnes. She wasn't showy, she wasn't poor, she was beautiful in all the simple ways.

Something incredibly hard to find.

I was beginning to feel agitated with our lack of progress, and the irritation from feeling too soft. "It's a waste of time, Mother, they don't have anything but rubbish in-"

"How about this?" she opened a black velvet box, halting me in my tracks. 

__

Bree

__

I woke up, instantly feeling beside me for Draco's presence. 

"He's not here, Ms. Barnes."

My eyes flew open.

Lucius Malfoy, sitting in the grandfather chair across from my bed, stroking his wand thoughtfully. "Think a protective charm is stronger than the Dark Lord's hand, do you, Ms. Barnes? "Or should I even call you that, Breeanne Leopold?" he laughed icily, getting up. I watched him, frozen in fear, as he stalked over to my bedside. My palms sweatily gripped the bedsheets and I tried to control my breathing as he put his wand to my throat and pressed the tip in, gritting his teeth. "Did you learn that from your mother?" he hissed. "TELL ME GIRL!" he pressed his thumb against my trachea. "WHERE IS SHE?"

"Mr. Malfoy," I gasped shakily. "She's gone. She's dead. Ever since I was a first-year. Please. You have to believe me." I closed my eyes, willing myself not to cry in front of him. Draco, Draco, Draco, please. Help me.