7

Draco

I was watching Bree from across the room, overseeing what she was doing, but not getting involved. I watched her dance, her golden hair catching the lights that were reflecting off the walls and her body moving perfectly to the beat. She stood out among all the awkward first years and loved-up 4th and 5th years. She was beautiful by herself, earning her jealous looks from younger girls and reproachful eyes from ones our year outside of her and Pansy's little clique. Before I had come back, I had made a promise to myself I wouldn't come to parties, as I couldn't bear the thought of taking shots with someone one night, and watching them get their soul sucked when I let the Death Eaters in another night. But the thought of her being snatched up and appearing on someone else's arm made my blood boil with anger. Maybe it was toxic. But it was how I knew how to love. Taking what was rightfully mine. 

I had lost heir to Slytherin. I wasn't losing her.

"Mate, you gotta come check this," Goyle grabbed my arm, jolting me out of my thoughts. "Gryffindors here. Dead ahead, causing trouble with some of our first year girls."

I watched Bree hesitantly, not wanting to take my eyes off of her for fear of something happening. She was surrounded by Pansy and the rest of them, so I silently promised her I'd be right back. I knew no one was messing with her not because she wasn't radiant, but because I'd caught them first. "If it's Potter, I swear on my life and yours, Goyle, no one is getting out of here alive tonight," I pushed people aside as we fought through the crowd to get to the balcony. "What the hell is going on here?" I snapped my fingers in annoyance. In response, three Gryffindor Quidditch jersey-wearing boys were thrown at my feet. 3rd years. "You, why in Merlin's name are you here?" I pointed the tip of my wand to the first boy's throat. He shivered in fear. "H-he, he told us we could come, Draco."

"It's Malfoy to you," I dug the point in a little deeper, to make an example out of him. The other two flinched, but I pretended not to see it. "Who told you you could come? A Slytherin?"

"N-n-no sir," he weakly said. "F-fitz."

"Fitz? I don't know a-"

The thought made my blood run cold. I did know a Fitz. And I was pretty sure I knew why exactly I was here on this balcony, and he was not. 

Bree. 

__

Bree

"I'm going to go find Draco," I yelled in Pansy's ear as she performed erratic hip-shaking movements on Blaise. "WHAT?" she yelled back, unable to hear over the music. "I SAID," I yelled again, "I'M GOING TO FIND DRACO!"

"A PAYPHONE?"

"DRACO!"

"OHHHH! DRACO! GO!" she shooed me away and I gladly left, all too happy to leave the scene. My mind was on my mysterious date, if you could even call it that. I wasn't exactly sure what I was with Draco Malfoy, or how he felt about me, but I knew one thing for certain: what I felt for him was becoming harder to ignore by the second. Him in his suit made me forget how to breathe. I wasn't sure why he'd taken such an interest, and why he was so afraid to show it. What was I doing wrong? Maybe this was the perfect time to talk to him. I'd seen him watching from the corner sternly, and the few times he'd caught me looking, I'd seen the ghost of a smile at his lips. But he'd slipped away as soon as Goyle had said something to him. I wondered if he were running off to some other girl waiting for her piece of the infamous Draco Malfoy. Or maybe he'd decided that me, and this in general, were not his scene. I felt him slipping through my fingers just as he'd vanished the party, a hourglass appearing on the horizon. I shook my head, telling myself it wasn't something that I'd done, and quietly made my exit out the back door, when no one was looking.