I should have expected it. They had a messy divorce and after that Mom cut all ties with Dad only making time for me. It was hard seeing them so mad at each other while Lacey stood in the middle of it, trying to get them to calm down.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her the moment we pulled away.

I could see my Dad clenching his jaw. He was upset. "That's my question too," he crossed his arms. "Go on, Veronica. Answer our daughter." He looked so mad that if we were not in such a tense environment I would have laughed.

Mom's eyes hardened. "My daughter. As long as I'm concerned she's my daughter. You only took advantage that I wasn't stable to get a chance at raising her." I almost sighed out loud. I couldn't have a day without this.

Lacey was quick to cut in before things could get any worse. "Listen, we've had a tough day and I'm sure you both need rest," she referred to both my parents. "And Hope, can you go upstairs and watch a movie?" Her tone was gentle but firm.

I immediately got the message. She didn't want me around when things got messy.

"Garrett's upstairs by the way so you can hang out with him if you want to," at the mention of Garrett my mother's face brightened.

"Really? It's been so long since I've seen him!" She was excited. It was obvious that she loved Garrett and even though he loved to act like I was talking bull all the time I was sure he had a soft spot for anything that concerned my Mom. She looked at me, her familiar hazel eyes locking with mine. The same colour. "Tell him I asked for him! After all, this is sorted out I will finally have time to hang out with you both,"

My heart softened for my mother. She knew it was not going to be sorted out but I knew her like the back of my hand. I knew what she would say, it would be along the lines of; I'll be damned if anyone would stop me from spending time with you both.

She was a tough woman. One I found myself wanting to be like.

"Of course, Mom," I smiled at her. "When you have everything sorted."

••

"She's here?! Aunt Veri is here?!" Garrett looked at me excited, almost like if I was lying he would kick me out of the house.

It is the first time he didn't act like he didn't care.

I laughed. "Yeah, she is. And just call her Veronica. She's technically not your aunt," he rolled his eyes like I was speaking gibberish.

"Whatever, besides we both know they aren't going to get anything sorted. If possible they would probably add more fuel to the fire," he shook his head sadly and the truth of his words sunk.

They were never going to get along. I had gotten my hope's up for nothing. As usual, Lacey was going to be the adult.

I could tell they were trying to keep their voices down since I couldn't hear them as clearly as I could before. I just wished that Mom and Dad could get along—not like that was even possible. It was more likely for Lacey and Mom, enemies who managed to tolerate each other, to become best friends than my strong-headed father and hot-headed mother. It just didn't work that way.

I sighed and lay down on my bed in defeat. The only thing that made this seem better was that I had showered. Nothing else.

Garrett stared at me sadly from his spot on my study chair and threw me a sympathetic smile.